Backup of configuration and jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caseidon

Cadet
Hi,
I have just installed my first FreeNAS with PlexMediaServer and PlexConnect and would like to make a backup of it. As I understand it, saving the config file will only backup the settings made in the GUI of FreeNAS and not any settings made in the jails(?) What would the easiest way be to backup the whole installation including the jails? In the PlexConnect jail I have made installations similar to this instruction:
https://lanky8804.wordpress.com/tag/plexconnect/
I guess downloading the config file and then make a snapshot of Volume1/Jails. But how do I copy the snapshot to a Windows computer?
The purpose of the backup is to be able to recreate the installation on another hardware if this one would brake or if I need another one for a friend.

AleQQ

Dabbler
Well, the jail is installed in your mounted volume. You could simply set up a CIFS share of that volume, open it up in your windows box and Copy/Paste the whole jail to your windows HDD. Or do something more elegant like map the share as a network drive and use auto backup software to save a copy of the jail every week or so. Although I'm assuming you don't actually do anything config-related after initial install so that's probably unnecessary. If plex connect is anything like PMS, the database doesn't really matter since it will all re-populate (with enough time) after you re-scan if you somehow tank your drive or need to build a new box.
zhRvV2K.png
BdkRase.png

Status
Not open for further replies.