SOLVED FreeNAS equivalent to RAID1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkman

Patron
Newbie, building first FreeNAS server (see sig, using recommended hardware and ECC RAM). Currently have an older four core AMD box with two 1TB drives in RAID1 that's a local backup destination, and holds a code repo. I'd like to retire this box from 24hr on duty, and move that RAID1 to the FreeNAS box, which actually uses less power outside of the drives, and will be on 24hrs.

FreeNAS box will have six 3TB drives in RAIDZ2. I have plenty of SATA ports. I know I will need to copy off the data on the 1 TB RAID1 and then back, and I have sufficient other temp space to do so.

What's the ZFS equivalent of RAID1? Mirrored vdevs, where the vdevs are the 1 TB drives? Have I missed this, or not understood it properly, when reading the slide guide to pools, etc.?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
The equivalent is a mirror ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What's the ZFS equivalent of RAID1? Mirrored vdevs, where the vdevs are the 1 TB drives?

Not exactly. You can't mirror vdevs. Data on a pool is always striped across all its vdevs (intelligently, so it's not necessarily uniform).

The drives, in your case, would be mirrored within the vdev. You can add mirrors like there's no tomorrow*, too.

*Not after the pool is created with the GUI, for now. It is possible after the fact with the CLI and will be supported in FreeNAS 10 on the GUI, though.

danb35

Hall of Famer
A "classic" ZFS mirror would be two mirrored disks comprising one vdev. You could then, if you wanted, add a second mirrored pair of disks to the pool. They'd form a second vdev, and your pool would be striped across those two vdevs. You could repeat that as many times as you like (or have space for).

Linkman

Patron
Darn, that was quick! Thanks!
Can't wait to get stuff put together and burned in.

Status
Not open for further replies.