raid1 and raid5 in one freenas for virtual servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

silbro

Dabbler
Good day

I have a mainboard with 2 sata3 ports and 4 sata2 ports. I wanted to add a raid1 with 2 * ssds (512gb) and a raidz with 4 * 7200rpm (2TB) disks. I'm using the storate for virtual servers (linux, kvm). The reason I wanted a raid 1 is because of faster I/Os for the mailserver. The rest will be 2 barely used DNS servers and storage for seafile and not that many visited webpages.

Does this make sense? Would I have an advantage with the 2 SSDs in a raid1? Any other suggestions ?

I will want to use an USB stick for the OS. Is this dangerous? What if that USB fails? Will I loose all my data? Would it make more sense to put the OS on the raid1?

Sincerely

jgreco

Resident Grinch
We do not recommend RAIDZ for VM data but as long as you're fine with performance being poor, and your application seems to be a good fit for that, there's nothing actually wrong with doing that.

The performance on a pair of mirrored SSD's will be better. Much better. Make it a separate ZFS pool, however.

FreeNAS is an appliance and does not support putting the OS on a data disk. You can put it on a USB stick, SATA DOM, or even a hardware RAID1. The USB stick is fine as long as you have a spare. Make sure to keep a copy of your configuration database offline and if there's a problem you can quickly restore service.

silbro

Dabbler
Thank you for you answer :) I find it very nice that freenas is so simple to use with a USB stick. I like this feature.

Is there another recommendation for my 4 disks apart from the RAIDZ configuration when using VMs?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Two mirror vdevs. Striped. 4TB of much better storage for VM's (compared to RAIDZ).

silbro

Dabbler
Thank you very much for the help! Much appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.