Basic RAID1 implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedero

Cadet
Hello all!

I'm new in FreeNAS, so, before posting here I read all documentation to ask specific questions.

I have already this configuration:

- Western Digital My Book 3TB external formated in EXT3 connected to a Tomato RAF Router to spread the information through the my home network. I want to remove the internal hard drive and make a RAID1 with it and another 3TB disk.

As I want to create a NAS in RAID1 mainly for redundancy matter, I would like to ask you:

- What happend if I accidentally remove the USB pendrive or suddenly break up with FreeNAS image while running/working?
- I have already half full my 3TB external disk with important information formated in EXT3, in the user guide, I read that volume import supports EXT2, this is a nomenclature regarding all "EXTx" filesystems are supported or it supports only EXT2?
- If question before is answered as EXT3 is supported, do you recommend migrate from EXT3 to ZFS?, the NAS will be used for Samba file shares and FTP file transfers only.

Thank you!!

Cheers,
Bruno.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello all!

I'm new in FreeNAS, so, before posting here I read all documentation to ask specific questions.

I have already this configuration:

- Western Digital My Book 3TB external formated in EXT3 connected to a Tomato RAF Router to spread the information through the my home network. I want to remove the internal hard drive and make a RAID1 with it and another 3TB disk.

As I want to create a NAS in RAID1 mainly for redundancy matter, I would like to ask you:

- What happend if I accidentally remove the USB pendrive or suddenly break up with FreeNAS image while running/working?
- I have already half full my 3TB external disk with important information formated in EXT3, in the user guide, I read that volume import supports EXT2, this is a nomenclature regarding all "EXTx" filesystems are supported or it supports only EXT2?
- If question before is answered as EXT3 is supported, do you recommend migrate from EXT3 to ZFS?, the NAS will be used for Samba file shares and FTP file transfers only.

Thank you!!

Cheers,
Bruno.
These are not the droids you are looking for. :)

EXT3 is a no-go. Use ZFS. Please note that FreeNAS requires 8GB ECC RAM. If you can't meet that requirement then you should look at another OS. And please read the materials in Cyberjock's sig. Finding him is easy. He replies to basically every post in the forums.

Last edited:

gpsguy

Assuming you have the hardware for ZFS, one thing you could do is setup your server with the new 3Tb drive.

Copy the data from your old EXT3 drive using your client machine to the FreeNAS server. Once that's complete, wipe the old drive, install it in the FreeNAS server and mirror it to the first one. You can't do this from the webGUI, you'd need to use CLI to do it. You can find the commands by searching the forums.

Normally, one can't add drives to an existing vdev after it's been created. But, mirrors are an exception to the rule.

dedero

Cadet
Assuming you have the hardware for ZFS, one thing you could do is setup your server with the new 3Tb drive.

Copy the data from your old EXT3 drive using your client machine to the FreeNAS server. Once that's complete, wipe the old drive, install it in the FreeNAS server and mirror it to the first one. You can't do this from the webGUI, you'd need to use CLI to do it. You can find the commands by searching the forums.

Normally, one can't add drives to an existing vdev after it's been created. But, mirrors are an exception to the rule.

That's what exactly I wanted!. very good tip. I'm actually have the hardware requirements for ZFS. thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.