Export my ZFS volume data to another FS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronouthier

Explorer
Ok, so in general, I really like FreeNAS. I have a few issues with compatibility of programs, but that's a story for another day.

I am trying to get my data out of FreeNAS and onto something readable by Ubuntu Linux Server. Trying, but tearing out my hair instead.

I first tried formatting a 500 GB hard drive connected via USB to SATA cable kit. Can't mount it on FreeNAS 9.3. I've tried formatting ext2, ext3, and ext4 using both an Ubuntu Live CD, and my FreeNAS box. Formatting works fine, and I even figured out how to use FreeBSD's fdisk variant to change the partition type.

When I go to mount the partition to an empty folder on my FreeNAS file system, I am told "Operation not supported by device", for all of the aforementioned scenarios. Command used to mount is "mount -t ext4 /dev/da5s1 /mnt/backup".

I have also tried formatting the drive NTFS from a Windows 7 Machine. When I tried to mount that, I am getting an error from FUSE. I have several Movies that I've ripped from my DVD collection, and are > 4 GB, so fat32 is out. I've tried to backup via Ethernet, but after 3 hours, less than 25% of my 450 GB collection had been copied. My server only takes 2.5" notebook drives internally, but my only free drive that is large enough is a 3.5" desktop drive. I haven't yet figured-out a way to mount a zfs formatted partition directly in Linux.

Please help, while I stile have some hair remaining...

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I've tried to backup via Ethernet
This is probably your best bet if you want something readable on Windows or Linux. FreeNAS 9.3 doesn't support writing to other filesystems.
I haven't yet figured-out a way to mount a zfs formatted partition directly in Linux.
Take a look at zfsonlinux.org, but keep in mind that you need to make sure the ZFS versions and feature flags are compatible.

aaronouthier

Explorer

aaronouthier

Explorer
Thanks for your support fella's. I actually got it to work shortly after my initial post. I used the following from my FreeNAS box:
mkfs.ext2 -I 128 /dev/da#s1

I was then able to successfully mount my 500 GB drive via a USB to SATA adapter, with:
mount -t ext2 /dev/da#s1 /mnt/export
(after mkdir'ing /mnt/export, of course).

aaronouthier

Explorer
This is probably your best bet if you want something readable on Windows or Linux. FreeNAS 9.3 doesn't support writing to other filesystems.

Take a look at zfsonlinux.org, but keep in mind that you need to make sure the ZFS versions and feature flags are compatible.
Thanks, I'll check that out.

As for a network file transfer, that was fine for my ~45 GB movie collection. My TV show collection, however, is 10x that at around 450 GB, and rsync was estimating about 4 days to copy to my NetGear Stora via SMB connection over Gigabit Ethernet.

Thanks again for your support.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thanks, I'll check that out.

As for a network file transfer, that was fine for my ~45 GB movie collection. My TV show collection, however, is 10x that at around 450 GB, and rsync was estimating about 4 days to copy to my NetGear Stora via SMB connection over Gigabit Ethernet.

Thanks again for your support.
That's way out of the ordinary. I moved several TB in one weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.