Mount FreeNAS volume in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

CbIP

Cadet
Hi all!

I had a FreeNAS as a home server for a year. And I've collected ~450 GB of data in the last 6 months.
But I decided to move from FreeNAS to Ubuntu Server. The main reason of my decision is that FreeNAS doesn't support Plex media server.
I have one question - how to mount ZFS volume in Ubuntu to copy data from it and then to format it?

I've already installed zfs-fuse package and tried to mount my volume: 'zpool create OldData /dev/sdb'
It created mounting point "OldData", but 'zpool list' shows, that this mounting point has no used space. Also there are no files in /OldData.

So, how can I mount FreeNas volume in Ubuntu?

Thank you!

Hexland

Contributor
Err... you wanted to 'import' your old storage pool -- not create a new one.

You actually wanted to 'zpool import your_old_storage_pool_name'

I don't know what creating the new one will have done to the old one though... was /dev/sdb your old FreeNAS data drive?

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a minute

CbIP

Cadet
Thank you for your reply!
Yes /dev/sdb was my old drive.
I tried 'zpool import' before 'zpool create' - it said 'no such pool available'.
Looks like I've destroyed some metadata on the old drive.
Luckily, I have backup of the most important data. But if someone knows, how to rescue all the available data on my old drive, it would be great

Hexland

Contributor
Does the pool still mount under FreeNAS? Could you launch FreeNAS in a VM under Ubuntu and access it from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.