FreeNAS- DVR, NAS and PLEX in one system

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3jected

Dabbler
Hello,

I am about to give advise to my farther to either buying a Synology NAS or build a FreeNas system (which I definetly prefer).

How ever there are some issues that after a google research remain (for me) unsolved. So please do not recommend me to do a forum search because I already did it and didn't find a suitable answer.

Moreover I know that there is an existing plugin for plex integration with Freenas, so that would be considered as solved.
However we populate our media library via dvr / digital video recorder, (for instance Mythtv or tvheadend) and with regards to my farthers wish to have ONE server that includes this dvr feature too I wanted to ask if there is a working / stable and reliable solution for FreeNas? Or am I forced to go with a second linux server for recording (which is sadly a dealbreaker for him).
I would get the tv signal from a DVBS2 usb card.

Thank you for your attention!

diedrichg

Wizard
Duplicate posting

R3jected

Dabbler
Here is the tuner card we plan to use:

http://www.technotrend.eu/2715/TT-connect__S2-3650_CI.html

https://wiki.freebsd.org/WebcamCompat
It seems to appear in this list so is there any hope since FreeNAS is based on freebsd I guess.?

index.php

Attachments

• upload_2014-8-30_14-51-10.png
    upload_2014-8-30_14-51-10.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 317

diedrichg

Wizard
I believe that is the case, yes - as long as it was supported in FreeBSD 9 then it is in the current builds of FreeNAS.

R3jected

Dabbler
Are these drivers already included in the FreeNAS builds or are they cut out?
I read something that all the dvr stuff was canceled out of FreeNas.

Nindustries

Patron
I wouldn't recommend the tvheadend freebsd port, as its old and buggy. Your best bet (and what I'm going to do) is to run Ubuntu tvHeadend in Virtualbox and use a network tuner. (Like a HDhomerun or GSI 400). You can even passthrough a usb card reader (usb 1.1 only) for decryption.

R3jected

Dabbler
Do you mean it you install it in a ubuntu jail for Freenas or are you using a separate machine which would result in more hear, electricity consumption, more hardware etc etc. What exactly are you planning to do and if it is within freenas can you do a tutorial on it?
Thanks anyways for your reply!

R3jected

Dabbler
So it would be possible to do it all in one?
Would you be so kind and make a tutorial on it because I am fairly new to linux and freebsd? That would be so nice of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.