OTA DVR/PVR Using FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nello

Patron
I'd like to create an over-the-air (OTA) digital/personal video recorder (DVR/PVR) using my FreeNAS server.

Conceptually, I'm thinking in terms of the following components:
  • OTA Tuner with a Cable Connection to my Attic Antenna
    The HDHomeRun Extend (formerly known as HDHomeRun PLUS) appears to be the only alternative for FreeBSD/FreeNAS. (I have free slots in my server but apparently FreeNAS has no drivers for internal tuners. The HomeRun tuners use IPTV to stream video over a LAN connection to recording software thereby obviating the need for hardware drivers.) I'm open to other suggestions.

• Recording Software
    Apparently either MythTV and Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) will run within a FreeNAS Jail and both appear to support HomeRun tuners. I'm looking for guidance on which to pick. I also need a fool-proof installation/configuration guide.

• Media Server
    Plex Media Server seems very popular and there's a FreeNAS plugin for it so I'm guessing that installing it would be easier than many alternatives. I'm interested in learning the benefits of using Plex versus using the front-ends for either MythTV or XMBC.

• Online Program Directory of OTA Broadcasts
    Schedules Direct seems to be the only alternative.

• Interface to My Dumb TV
    I presume that any (DLNA-compliant) media server will connect to my dumb TVs through the Sony BDP-BX110 Blu-ray players that I own.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Updates
Feb 23: Revised extensively for clarity and focus on specific components.

Last edited:

diedrichg

Wizard
You would no doubt only have driver support for TV tuner cards with a desktop motherboard. I guess you'd have to read up on FreeNAS's drivers though. You'll probably do better with a HTPC setup with a desktop motherboard and OS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Someone tried to do this. After buying almost 1/2 dozen different tuners and over $500 on stuff, he gave up.

I think diedrichg has it right. FreeNAS isn't a good choice for this. You'll want a true HTPC setup if you want to go this route. Trying to compile drivers into FreeNAS (not to mention making it all work) is very, very far from trivial to implement. In fact, I think it would be easier to go with full fledged FreeBSD if you *really* want to go that route.

gpsguy

nello

Patron

Thank you for the link.

Apparently SiliconDigital's HomeRun works with MythTV running in a FreeNAS jail.

The most recent guide I've found for installing MythTV is: FreeNAS Media Server with PlexMediaServer and Mythtv but it is daunting (to me). And, I'm wondering whether 9.3.x changes will make parts of it out-of-date for a copy-and-paste NOOB like me. :-(

UPDATE

Apparently 9.3 doesn't change the guide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.