FreeNAS CIFS share via VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

oguruma

Patron
I am wanting to access my CIFS shares over VPN and set up FreeNAS accordingly.

1. VPN works fine. I can ping LAN resources.

2. I can access CIFS shares from local network.

3. VPN assigns 10.1.10.x Lan is 192.168.1.x.

At this point, I just need to figure out how to configure FreeNAS to allow me to access shares via VPN.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You don't need to configure anything on FreeNAS unless you configured your shares to only allow certain subnets. Once you are VPN'd into your network, you just access the resources via IP like you would anything else on your network.

diedrichg

Wizard
On your client just connect to the CIFS share.

\\freenasaddress\CIFSshareName

=

\\192.168.1.x\cifsname

-> enter FreeNAS user and password

oguruma

Patron
I see. That worked. I had to re-map the share once connect. Now I guess my question is, how come I have to have this share listed as 2 different drive letters? For example, I originally listed the share as R: and then mapped it as Y: once connected via VPN. If the IP to the share is the same, why do I have to re-map it, and therefore have the same share listed with 2 drive letters?

diedrichg

Wizard
I've never had that issue. I mapped it as Z:\ and whenever I am in a hotel (4 days of the week, every week), I just fire up the VPN client and then click the (disconnected) Z drive to get it to connect again.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I see. That worked. I had to re-map the share once connect. Now I guess my question is, how come I have to have this share listed as 2 different drive letters? For example, I originally listed the share as R: and then mapped it as Y: once connected via VPN. If the IP to the share is the same, why do I have to re-map it, and therefore have the same share listed with 2 drive letters?
You don't have to do that...you can have the same mapped drive letter.

oguruma

Patron
I see. I had to remap it as the same drive letter. It only worked after a couple reboots, but that has been my Windows 10 experience so far....

Status
Not open for further replies.