can't access FreeNAS via VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sander Jansen

Explorer
hey, I have some trouble with connecting to my FreeNAS (including the webinterface) when I'm connected through vpn.

I think i may have to do with the IP range... VPN gives the range: 1.1.4.X while my home network is in range: 1.1.1.X .
When i login on VPN, i can acces everything else just fine, its just FreeNAS that is bugging me.
When i change the VPN range to 1.1.1.X then freenas works fine. But the problem then is that i will get duplicate IPs in my network.

Is there a way to setup FreeNAS to ALSO accept connections from outside of its own IP range aswell as its own? although i wonder if that is actually the case. I have PFsense as a router and the VPN also is running from there. and PFsense is setup to route traffic through different ranges. That is why (i think) i can access the rest of my network just fine.

In FreeNAS i get no messages or nothing when I try to access it through vpn... so i don't really know where to start looking... changing the vpn range was a wild guess and actually worked... but that gave me more questions then what it solved... obviously i dont want to try and rearrange my whole home network as i also have webservers and email servers running.

Any help is welcome :)
thanks

ps,
Dont start complaining about my "stupid" home IP range... I have a lot of customers i need to help over vpn and obviously all the most common ranges are used and it gives problems when I need to access a computer whose IP is the same as in my network...

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
Dont start complaining about my "stupid" home IP range.
I'm going to :D. The subnet 1/8 is assigned to APNIC and are routable addresses. I wouldn't be surprised if the routing is some how messed up because of this. Ideally you should be using a subnet on 10/8, 172.16/12 or 192.168/16.

Sander Jansen

Explorer
at the moment i am using the full /24 for my home network and for my VPN...

What i can do is give VPN a range within like 10.0.0.X/24 if that would make a difference ... i can't test right now as users are connected but later today ill test this...

m0nkey_

MVP
at the moment i am using the full /24 for my home network and for my VPN...
LAN & VPN shouldn't be sharing the same subnet, how is the router to know where to send the traffic? You can do split subnet if you want to use the same range (i.e. a /26 network). But seriously, get off that 1/8 network, use one of the reserved ranges by ARIN.

Sander Jansen

Explorer
The networks are fully separated... there like vlans... the router (pfsense) links the two together and controles what can access what. the networks by itself cant talk to each other.

This is the information that is provided about the IP range:

This is the IPv4 virtual network used for private communications between this server and client hosts expressed using CIDR (e.g. 10.0.8.0/24). The first network address will be assigned to the server virtual interface. The remaining network addresses can optionally be assigned to connecting clients (see Address Pool).+
I have tried using the same range and yes then freenas works but thats all that works... all other systems i cant access then. dont ask why... no idea...

Sander Jansen

Explorer
well guess what... for some other reasons i needed to reboot my freenas and now vpn also works normally ... i dont know if this problem will come back or not but yea... for now its fixed - a reboot did the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.