[FreeNAS] Booting issues on HP D230 MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

panicos

Dabbler
Hi

I just made a bootable FreeNAS USB stick and probe it on a certain PC. Everything worked just fine. My goal though is to use it on another PC - HP D230 MT; however, when I boot from the same stick on this machine, I have an error:

Can't work out which disk we arre booting from. Guessed BIOS device 0x80 not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

My BIOS is up to date. I searched for options that might change the situation in BIOS, but didn't manage to accomplish anything. Are there any solutions to this problem, besides "it's the BIOS' fault; change computer"?

Thanks.

gpsguy

Unfortunately, you already know the answer.

Are there any solutions to this problem, besides "it's the BIOS' fault; change computer"?

I did a quick Google search, it appears the pc is 10 years old and only supports IDE drives. With 2 memory slots, at most, it only supports 2Gb of RAM (which is 1/3 of FreeNAS minimum spec). I'd be surprised if it could boot from USB.

You'd be better served by computer made within the last 3 years or so.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I agree with gpsguy. You could probably use an internal drive for the boot device and be okay from that standpoint, but the hardware is so old I wouldn't bother trying to use it. You're going end up with a system that is slow, may crash constantly, and may cost you your data if those crashes cause your drives to be inconsistent.

I'd look at something newer(not necessarily brand new) to use instead.

panicos

Dabbler
Well, i apologise. I have missinformed you.
Only the tower is HP D230 MT; the motherboard is AsRock P4Dual-915GL (last BIOS version).
Again I apologise.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, i apologise. I have missinformed you.
Only the tower is HP D230 MT; the motherboard is AsRock P4Dual-915GL (last BIOS version).
Again I apologise.

Doesn't really change my opinion. That board uses DDR, still 2 memory slots. It's just too old to be useful.

panicos

Dabbler
Ok, it's old, but supports 4GB ram. Isn't it enough for home use?
This is the problem of the error showed - board using DDR, 2 mem slots?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not really.

ZFS wants 6GB of RAM + 1GB per TB of storage.. you don't even hit the minimum.

Even a low powered Atom based machine can do 4GB(some do 8GB) and may be an order of magnitude more powerful than any CPU that fits that socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.