Newby needs help with new install

Status
Not open for further replies.

liddley

Cadet
Hope some one can advise me,
Trying to install Freenas on my old tower PC but can not get it to install.
I have burnt the freenas image to my usb stick (4G sandisk usb stick) Changed the bios to boot from this device. When the pc starts up the message on screen says "cant work out which disk we are booting from, guessed bios disk 0x80 not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
Cant load kernel
??????
Pc is a Asus k8v-mx mother board
AMD Athlon 64 3000 cpu
2G DDR Ram

Not the newest of pc`s I know, but was hoping to use it to just get started with a NAS to store all my photos on .

Nick2253

Wizard
Please please please read the stickies and the manual.

FreeNAS's minimum hardware requirements are 8GB of memory. Four times what you are trying to run with. You do not have ECC memory.

If you want a NAS to store some photos on, with that hardware, FreeNAS is absolutely, 100% *NOT* the solution you should be using.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
yeah.. not a chance that hardware is going to cut it. You have 25% of the minimum RAM for FreeNAS. Pretty sure the cost alone of upgrading to 8GB(if you even can) is going to make this a nonstarter.

Consider using more powerful hardware with FreeNAS or consider using a different OS.

liddley

Cadet
If I was to start a fresh with a new build for running freenas what Hardware would you recommend?
Motherboard
CPU
Ram
Hdd
AMD, Intel ??? ....

Nick2253

Wizard
I would recommend reading the stickie that is aptly titled "So you want some hardware suggestions."

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I would recommend reading the stickie that is aptly titled "So you want some hardware suggestions."

QFT. We don't help people build their server. We leave it to you to build it, but we have *tons* of stickies and threads on the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.