[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - MineOS

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hey trying this out on freshly booted 9.2.1.8 and install went perfect. Kudos to the work done on making this a viable plugin

I've gotten the webpage up, and created my first server, but noticed the 3 baked in vanilla profiles can be loaded, but you have to go back and update them for the server to start.

So did that and started my server but quick launch of 1.8 multiplayer found no running games on my network.

So close to this being a viable kid-friendly multiplayer environment, but wondering what must be done to allow PCs to find and join a launched server?
I believe you didn't click "Update" on the profile you created to grab the latest jar.
Manage Profiles > vanilla164 > Update

Also, I linked a youtube video introduction on the OP that shows the exact steps I use.

obsodien

Dabbler
I believe also that you will have to add the servers manually to your sever list within minecraft. I myself do not see the servers as being online until i do.

At least this is from my experience....

KillerDram

Dabbler
I installed MineOS and when i try to start the service it takes a few moments to think then it just says some error occurred and i cant find what the error is. Also it doesn't appear under plugins tab on the left. Do you have any suggestions what i should do?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I installed MineOS and when i try to start the service it takes a few moments to think then it just says some error occurred and i cant find what the error is. Also it doesn't appear under plugins tab on the left. Do you have any suggestions what i should do?
it not appearing is a bad sign. can you try deleting it and reinstalling. also can you confirm you're on 9.2.1.8

KillerDram

Dabbler
yes i have freenas-9.2.1.8-release-x64 and i have tried deleting and reinstalling 3 time on the second attempt after i deleted it the jail didnt go away and it is still there. also when i go to the installed tab under plugins in takes away to load then MineOS shows up

EDIT: alright i got it fixed and it was such a simple solution. The ip address of the jail was configured wrong. sorry. Thx for your help

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
yes i have freenas-9.2.1.8-release-x64 and i have tried deleting and reinstalling 3 time on the second attempt after i deleted it the jail didnt go away and it is still there. also when i go to the installed tab under plugins in takes away to load then MineOS shows up
Don't know what to tell you. The plugin system occasionally has hiccups.
Can other plugins install ok? If rebooting freenas is possible, that may refresh things and the plugin will be available to delete.

xxsj

Dabbler
This is an awesome project and I'm really glad this came about!

That said, I've been having a few issues:
- After reboot, sometimes, no servers are listed in the config, other times, they're listed but won't start
- Have to login twice to get credentials to work for some reason
- No way to change username or password that I can find (??)
- Somehow with 8 cores, 32gb of ram (4gb of which is dedicated to MineOS), and a 4 SSD RAID I am getting slower performance loading chunks than hosting on my Windows box... but that could just be my box :(

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
This is an awesome project and I'm really glad this came about!

That said, I've been having a few issues:
- After reboot, sometimes, no servers are listed in the config, other times, they're listed but won't start
- Have to login twice to get credentials to work for some reason
- No way to change username or password that I can find (??)
- Somehow with 8 cores, 32gb of ram (4gb of which is dedicated to MineOS), and a 4 SSD RAID I am getting slower performance loading chunks than hosting on my Windows box... but that could just be my box :(
Please (re)read the OP.
- yes, I know. this is how FreeNAS is designed, we need to run a command from the FreeNAS host which only runs when the plugin is started manually (not from a restart)
- I believe MineOS weirdly does this on all systems, logging out and logging in always works for me (If you keep the previous point in mind).
- I couldn't find documentation anywhere on this but I did my best documenting this in the OP.
- performance seems fine for me; I have a huge world my cousin and his friends created, I give it 8GB, it runs off a single disk zpool (which I want to change).
I also ran the below and rely on minecraft to cache it's own stuff
Code:
zfs set primarycache=metadata tank/minecraft

I am open to suggestions to tweaking this plugin to increase performance. All it really is, is a python wrapper to start and stop minecraft which is running on java7.

xxsj

Dabbler
Please (re)read the OP.
- yes, I know. this is how FreeNAS is designed, we need to run a command from the FreeNAS host which only runs when the plugin is started manually (not from a restart)
- I believe MineOS weirdly does this on all systems, logging out and logging in always works for me (If you keep the previous point in mind).
- I couldn't find documentation anywhere on this but I did my best documenting this in the OP.
- performance seems fine for me; I have a huge world my cousin and his friends created, I give it 8GB, it runs off a single disk zpool (which I want to change).
I also ran the below and rely on minecraft to cache it's own stuff
Code:
zfs set primarycache=metadata tank/minecraft

I am open to suggestions to tweaking this plugin to increase performance. All it really is, is a python wrapper to start and stop minecraft which is running on java7.
1. Is there any way we can run a CRON that fixes it periodically? What are the details about what's needed to be run manually? Is it a timing issue? Could we start the actual service on a delay after the jail starts?

2. I'll report the bug to the author of MineOS, wish it was PHP so I could fix it in a blip.

3. OK awesome, for those that didn't quite get the password changing thing, run these commands from FreeNAS CLI:
Code:
jls # determine jail # and replace 1 below with correct jail
jexec 1 tcsh
su mcserver
passwd

I'd love to see that get turned in to FreeNAS plugin config options, since other things can be configured in GUI or from CLI at /usr/pbi/mineos-amd64/etc/mineos.conf (such as webui.mask_password)

4. Figuring out ideal settings for memory etc. is probably my fault. I'll try out the primarycache options thanks!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
1. no, it needs to be done before the plugin is started or it won't work. I think the best place would be to add a startup command (you can do this in the freenas GUI)
something like..
Code:
mount linprocfs /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/usr/compat/linux/proc

I could be wrong about that command but it's close.

3. I thought about doing it, but never implemented it. anyone is free to add that feature to my plugins github.

marcevan

Patron
Can you explain a bit more on the IP addresses (jail vs. MC server)?

A prior post asked me to update the profiles, but I had already done that. They now say ignored with same MD5 as before. Check.
The jail is on my subnet as x.x.x.50 but the setup of the MC servers indicate servers should be on 0.0.0.0 as they are local to service running on freenas.

But then when I scan for servers on my network it's not found. So a prior posting said to manually add the server and did MINEOS with the .50 address and then tried the port as well but both had same affect:

[INFO] Disconnecting /x.x.x.4:50652: Protocol error

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Can you explain a bit more on the IP addresses (jail vs. MC server)?

A prior post asked me to update the profiles, but I had already done that. They now say ignored with same MD5 as before. Check.
The jail is on my subnet as x.x.x.50 but the setup of the MC servers indicate servers should be on 0.0.0.0 as they are local to service running on freenas.

But then when I scan for servers on my network it's not found. So a prior posting said to manually add the server and did MINEOS with the .50 address and then tried the port as well but both had same affect:

[INFO] Disconnecting /x.x.x.4:50652: Protocol error
Use the jail IP.
0.0.0.0 just means listen on every available IP, which for a program running in the jail, is just the jail IP (and localhost).
I don't know/care how minecraft network discovery works. I always just use the "Add Server" feature.

marcevan

Patron
Thanks for the reply Josh.
Tried exactly that "add server" and put in the IP (my .50) but got the Protocol error message I posted.

I just uninstalled the plugin and will either try again later today, or as your advice is usually being ignored: wait until 9.3

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the reply Josh.
Tried exactly that "add server" and put in the IP (my .50) but got the Protocol error message I posted.

I just uninstalled the plugin and will either try again later today, or as your advice is usually being ignored: wait until 9.3
Did you watch the video in the OP? Just wondering if you accepted the EULA like I did in the video. Also the client version you pick needs to match the server version you start.

Ismael Duarte

Contributor
I'm trying this! Was able to install plugin, login into dashboard, create a server ... on PC everything seems perfect!
But, when connecting from MC I see the message "Generating World | Locating Server" and after a few seconds "unable to connect to world"
Must be doing something wrong.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm trying this! Was able to install plugin, login into dashboard, create a server ... on PC everything seems perfect!
But, when connecting from MC I see the message "Generating World | Locating Server" and after a few seconds "unable to connect to world"
Must be doing something wrong.
Did you accept the EULA? I have a youtube video on the OP that shows exactly what I did.

wazaus

Dabbler
First of thanks Josh for all your hard work with plugins.

I am yet to get mineos running mind you I have only just installed the plug-in but I was surprised when I checked the services for the ip address assigned to mineos using Fing it found 1 service:
123456 netbus backdoor trojan.

Now I don't really know enough about it to know if I should worry about this... Can you explain why this would be showing up?

Thanks,

W

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yes, server it's running fine. Saw the whole video twice.

Enviado do meu GT-I9001 através de Tapatalk
maybe your client version doesn't match the server version you are hosting?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
First of thanks Josh for all your hard work with plugins.

I am yet to get mineos running mind you I have only just installed the plug-in but I was surprised when I checked the services for the ip address assigned to mineos using Fing it found 1 service:
123456 netbus backdoor trojan.

Now I don't really know enough about it to know if I should worry about this... Can you explain why this would be showing up?

Thanks,

W
I'm guessing "Fing" is a program to check for open ports? What I'm wondering is why it see's port 123456 when that's not even a real port number?

If it is seeing port 12345, that's likely the port the FreeNAS jail is using to receive RPC calls to do stuff like start and stop the plugin.