Freenas 11 Changelog on update

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArgaWoW

Patron
Hi,
I am on the latest nightly and every day I get a new update. That's no problem for me to do this each day, but I really want to know what is new on it, and the change log that is displayed will always be the same.

So please can someone tell me where the actually changes can be found?

Thanks in advance.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

FreeNASftw

Contributor
Haha I was coming here to ask the exact same thing, there is an open bug for it and I asked this question there last night but still no answer.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

FreeNASftw

Contributor
You mean like how I said there is an open bug report for it?
The bug report doesn't help us find out what changes are actually being made to our systems if we persist with the upgrades, which is the question being asked.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The bug report doesn't help us find out what changes are actually being made to our systems if we persist with the upgrades, which is the question being asked.
If you MUST have information of the changes BEFORE you update, you will have to wait a few days (or perhaps longer) to update your machine.
I just made that report <48 hours ago so we would ask a little patience while the ticket is assigned, investigated and then corrected. It would not
surprise me at all of this was one of the last things they look at before FreeNAS 11.0 is released. As bugs go, it's pretty minor due to the fact that
this is a nightly train!

You mean like how I said there is an open bug report for it?
@Ericloewe was making sure that the link to the bug report was given as a matter of convenience, you remark (quoted above) was disrespectful:(

FreeNASftw

Contributor
Yes, it was SLIGHTLY disrespectful, just like it is disrespectful or perhaps patronizing for a moderator to completely ignore the substance of a very valid question. We aren't asking that the ticket be made a priority, we aren't making a big song and dance about it.
The question was "So please can someone tell me where the actually changes can be found?" - so, if the changelog when actually doing the updates is the ONLY place that change descriptors can be found, then the answer would be "you can't, wait for the bug to be fixed", or if there is a train description page floating around with update release descriptions, the answer would be "hey, you can find the update descriptions here"...

ArgaWoW

Patron
Yes, it was SLIGHTLY disrespectful, just like it is disrespectful or perhaps patronizing for a moderator to completely ignore the substance of a very valid question. We aren't asking that the ticket be made a priority, we aren't making a big song and dance about it.
The question was "So please can someone tell me where the actually changes can be found?" - so, if the changelog when actually doing the updates is the ONLY place that change descriptors can be found, then the answer would be "you can't, wait for the bug to be fixed", or if there is a train description page floating around with update release descriptions, the answer would be "hey, you can find the update descriptions here"...
Thats like he is. You will find many answers of the same kind. It seems he only want to say something to everything....

I agree with you. If I have a question, I would like to have an answer.

Example: many guys out here have strange problems, or questions about corral and they always get only one answer from him "Corral is dead, see the announcement". Yes that may be true, but it wount help anyone. So better just be quite.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

gpsguy

@Ericloewe is a well respected member of the community. And, being proficient is several languages, so he can help out on the non-English forums too.

Thats like he is. You will find many answers of the same kind. It seems he only want to say something to everything....

Most of the active participants on the forum (including ericloewe) don't have any affiliation with iXsystems. He was able to find a bug report for your issue. By and large, the developers don't participate in the forum. The only way to get their attention is to file a bug report and watch the activity.

I agree with you. If I have a question, I would like to have an answer.

A lot of Corral users still don't know that the product is dead. That's why we answer new threads with the "Corral is dead, see the announcement" response.

Unless another Corral user wants to step up and answer these questions, you probably won't get many answers.
As I said above, the devs don't actively participate on the forums. Even if you encounter a bug, it won't be fixed.

Example: many guys out here have strange problems, or questions about corral and they always get only one answer from him "Corral is dead, see the announcement". Yes that may be true, but it won't help anyone. So better just be quiet.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, it was SLIGHTLY disrespectful, just like it is disrespectful or perhaps patronizing for a moderator to completely ignore the substance of a very valid question.
Are you just trying to be upset about something? You can't expect me to have an answer to all your questions, especially if it's something only the dev team would know (and even they are going to have trouble answering this exactly if the changelog generator is broken). Would you rather see no answer at all?

The best place to get the answer is the bug report...

xample: many guys out here have strange problems, or questions about corral and they always get only one answer from him "Corral is dead, see the announcement". Yes that may be true, but it wount help anyone. So better just be quite.
Since very few people are still involved with Corral and there are going to be zero bug fixes, the best way of getting rid of "strange problems" is ditching Corral. Holding on to some vague hope of fixes for the problems is unrealistic.

FreeNASftw

Contributor
I'm not upset, your answer just wasn't helpful - I don't expect anything at all from you in particular or from anyone else, but usually when I see a question I can't answer... I don't post. The bug report had zero useful information about attaining a change description, otherwise I would have posted said information rather than just saying that there is an open bug report.

So the premise of the question is - "is the changelog that is presented when updating from with the GUI the ONLY place that changelog exists or can we find it somewhere else". It isn't a complex question, no need for hurt feelings. It appears to have been resolved now anyway.

gpsguy

If noone posts a message pointing to bug report, other users who might stumble on this thread may not realize that a bug report has already been filed regarding this issue.

The administrators on the forum don't want to see messages go unanswered. If they see one that hasn't been answered in several days, expect a generic followup along the lines of "Did you resolve your problem?".

I'm not upset, your answer just wasn't helpful - I don't expect anything at all from you in particular or from anyone else, but usually when I see a question I can't answer.

Does the changelog exist elsewhere? We don't know - we aren't privy to inside information. With rare execption, the devs don't participate on the forums, so don't expect an answer from them.

So the premise of the question is - "is the changelog that is presented when updating from with the GUI the ONLY place that changelog exists or can we find it somewhere else". It isn't a complex question, no need for hurt feelings. It appears to have been resolved now anyway.

FreeNASftw

Contributor
If noone posts a message pointing to bug report, other users who might stumble on this thread may not realize that a bug report has already been filed regarding this issue.
I did say that there was an open bug report in the very first comment on this thread... Providing a link to the report that also has no useful information isn't helpful in itself.

The administrators on the forum don't want to see messages go unanswered. If they see one that hasn't been answered in several days, expect a generic followup along the lines of "Did you resolve your problem?".
Except the admin 'answer' provided no new information, didn't help at all, didn't ask if the question was resolved.

Does the changelog exist elsewhere? We don't know - we aren't privy to inside information. With rare execption, the devs don't participate on the forums, so don't expect an answer from them.
This would have been a much better answer. I don't know if the changelog info is available somewhere else but maybe someone does... that's the question being asked by the OP..., it isn't really inside information if it is supposed to available from the GUI anyway. It is like windows updates, you can look up what the updates are on their website.

Is there some confusion here? The question is not about the bug report, or even if there is a bug report. Forget the bug report. Just out of general interest, is the historical and/or current change long available for general perusal... The answer seems to be no.

FreeNASftw

Contributor
I've read other posts from @Ericloewe and the ones I've seen have been very helpful, this isn't a personal attack on him or anyone else. I think this 'discussion' is perhaps down to confusion over what is being asked.

gpsguy

I don't see any confusion over what's being asked.

From my perspective, certain users don't like the devs response of "This appears to be a problem with the changelog generation" given in the bug report. Given that it has a bug number attached to it, it'll get their attention. I'm sure most of us would like more info, but it's a damn bug and it's up to the devs to fix it.

Comparing iXsystems to Microsoft is an unfair comparison, given the vast difference in the size of their companies.

Don't forget that Microsoft cancelled their Feb '17 "patch Tuesday" updates, presumably due to a problem with their patch build process. We were looking forward to that release, given the zero day vulnerabilities that were floating around at time. MS's response - wait until March.

Status
Not open for further replies.