iSCSI Volume grows on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArgaWoW

Patron
Hello,

I am running FreeNAS 11 u3 in an ESXi environment and l have created two zvol for my VMs. Each of them with a size of 150gb and connect to it via iSCSI to the esxi host. My problem is, that these volumes are getting bigger than the 150gb. Actually they are showing 230gb for each Volume. This makes my ssd where they are on it running out of space.

Have i do something wrong while the setup?

How to keep the zvol on the max. Size i have configured them?

Thanks for any help on this case :)

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

dtom10

Explorer
Most probably you are using thin provisioning which is causing the numbers to show weird values. ZFS uses compression by default and the actual disk space usage might be lower than you think. Are you basing your assumption on figures shown in the datastore inventory of VSphere?

For example, I have an ISCSI datastore backed by a file on FreeNAS and the numbers in vSphere look like this. Total space on FreeNAS is 600Gb but I'll need 1.26Tb if I use all the allocated disk space.

Attachments

• vsphere.PNG
    vsphere.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 201

ArgaWoW

Patron
Most probably you are using thin provisioning which is causing the numbers to show weird values. ZFS uses compression by default and the actual disk space usage might be lower than you think. Are you basing your assumption on figures shown in the datastore inventory of VSphere?

For example, I have an ISCSI datastore backed by a file on FreeNAS and the numbers in vSphere look like this. Total space on FreeNAS is 600Gb but I'll need 1.26Tb if I use all the allocated disk space.
Hi, thanks for your answer. This help me to understand how iscsi works.

I am talking about the space consumption of the zvol on the freenas ui. In ESXi everthing seems fine.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

dtom10

Explorer
Post zvol data and esxi data. I still think you read your numbers wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.