Fractal Design node 804 Worldwide backorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdenommee

Dabbler
It is out of stock everywhere I tried except from one store selling it at almost $300. I got no reply from Fractal Design either.

Do you know any online store that has stock?

southwow

Contributor
Not knocking the node cases, I love them as well. I just want to offer an alternative:

If you don't have to have a tiny case, look at the zalman ms800. Top-to-bottom 5.25 bays (10 of them) allow you to install backplanes/mobile racks. It has some USB 3.0 ports, and plenty of ventilation options. I've used these cases for my last 2 small builds and they're great.

I've been using backplanes from istarusa and supermicro for a long time and have never had an issue with either if you decide to go this route!

Just saying, lol.

pdenommee

Dabbler
Thank you for the information, I did not know this case. I find it odd that only 3 HDD cages are included is such a large case.

This case is in end of life https://www.scan.co.uk/products/zal...wer-black-case-with-side-window-usb-30-w-o-su . It is also unavailable.

If I decide to go for a large enclosure, Fractal Design has many that are available everywhere. The computer that I am using for typing this message has a Fractal Design enclosure with 8 3.5 inches drive bays, two of which being occupied by an SSD and a HDD. I am biased because I own this case and I built the computer inside. The optical drive cage is removable, but I have never heard of an optional 3.5 inch drives holder that could be installed there.

I would prefer 10 HDD locations because I am planning on a 5 drives RaidZ2 for the original configuration. Most power supplies have only 8 (or 6) SATA headers, so it is normal to have 8 HDD locations. Molex to SATA is apparently not 100% reliable. A 3 drives Raidz2 for the remaining 3 spots is not very space efficient.

Last edited:

southwow

Contributor
you can still find them for sale in the US. Sorry, didn't pay attention to your location.

You're correct about the molex connectors. I don't trust them at all. That's why I use backplanes/cages. The istar ones only require 2 SATA power connectors for each 5 drive cage.

pdenommee

Dabbler
you can still find them for sale in the US. Sorry, didn't pay attention to your location.

I can order it from the US or get it directly if it is located close to Quebec's border in the states of NY, VT or NH.

Last edited:

Fratopolis

Cadet
I signed up just to give feedback on the Node 804. I can say without a doubt I have no regrets on this case. Running 21.818TB raw storage with 8x3TB SAS drives and I love it. This is an elegant case. I have two SSD drives in the front bezel and a NVME drive on the MB and looking at adding two more 3tb drives for 10 total spinning disks. Whether your using sata or SAS I started using SAS cables on even sata due to cable management and haven't looked back.

pdenommee

Dabbler
I have reserved one at a local merchant (124 km away) for the reasonable price of $144.99. It is $10 more then purchasing online, but much better then the greedy prices that I see online. Considering the cost of shipping, it is about the same as buying it online. He had only 2 in stock.

loch_nas

Explorer
I don't know how much the shipping would be ... but i'm sure that it's less than the price difference of 200 $ or € ... still not cheap of course.

Edit: Yeah that seems ok.

loch_nas

Explorer
I meant shipping from Europe to your place. When you wrote that you have found a shop, I wrote that sentence about shipping at exactly the same time :D
Fortunately that shipping option is anyway obsolete now.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Last edited:

pdenommee

Dabbler
I will be using 6TB HGST NAS hard drives (already purchased). I was planning on purchasing a 10Tb drive from the same manufacturer for the spare drive because it is currently on sale at $200 USD.

Here is a side view of this hard drive everything looks nice. The problem seems to concern only Seagate NAS hard drive.

HGST_Deskstar_NAS_6TB-Photo-side-angle.jpg

joeinaz

Contributor
I am upgrading my FreeNAS device and I just purchased a Lian-Li PC-A76 case from New Egg. It is a"Full Tower" aluminum case with room internally for up to TWELVE 3.5" disks and two 5.25" front panel devices. One of the compelling reasons for getting the case is this design has an optional 3 disk SATA backplane. Up to 4 may be installed. The backplanes:

- Allow the disk trays to be removed without the need to disconnect any cables.
- Reduce the number of required power cables for the drives.
- Are also considerably less expensive than front mounted drive enclosures.

Also, the case can accommodate an E-ATX motherboard which will house my new dual processor, 12 DIMM slot, dual CPU motherboard.

Finally, the best part was the price; New Egg has a +$50 promo going where the case price (before shipping) was $116.80. I also looked at the Rosewill Black Hawk Ultra that has holds 10 drives internally and has four 5.25" slots which means this system can (with a 5 bay drive enclosure) could hold up to 15 drives and my LTO tape. While I liked the layout for the Rosewill case with wheels and fans on both sides of the disk column, the backplane on the Lian-Li was the deciding factor for me.

BTW, there are also good deals right now Rosewill case as it's about $155 on both Amazon and New Egg...

loch_nas

Explorer
Lian-Li really has some nice cases for server purposes: clean look, backplanes (reduces the need for SATA power adapters as you say) and clever design.

The reason I'm not going for Lian Li is the light aluminum. Every Lian Li case I had was producing bad vibrations, even with only 1 rotating disk. If you're ok with that or you don't experience the same accustic phenomenon , then there's no reason to not use a Lian Li case.

But for me personally heavy steel cases are always the preferred choice.

joeinaz

Contributor
NAS, thanks for the great information. I have the Rosewill Black Hawk Ultra case; It is an HUGE case and comes with 8 fans installed. It is 36.6 pounds (16.6 kilos) compared to the 20.9 pounds (9.5 kilos) for the Lian-Li PC-A76 case. The Lian-Li case comes with only 3 fans. I was going to return the Rosewill case but now I am torn as to what to do. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to test the Lian-Li with the backplane and see if that eliminates any vibration problem.

loch_nas

Explorer
Own experience is the best experience. So just get it and have fun with testing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.