First FreeNAS Build - two CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romulus

Dabbler
Hi, I hope you are all well. I am building my first nas box and I need your expertise to guide me in the right direction. I need to know what cpu you guys think is a better option. I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

Motherboard: AsRock E3C226D2I
CPU option #1: Intel Core i3-4370
CPU option #2: Intel Pentium G3420

I am leaning towards the i-3-4370 but I am not cpu savvy. The nas I am building will have 5 2tb wd red drives, it will be on 24/7 and will be used for media, backups, plex server and possibly a dvr. All will be installed in a fractal node 304 with stock fans unless you think I might need more fans. Thanks in advance!

m0nkey_

MVP
Both processors will be enough to do what you want. If you expect to have more than two users streaming from Plex at any given time, then the i3 would be better. If cost is a thing, go with the Pentium.

Romulus

Dabbler
Both processors will be enough to do what you want. If you expect to have more than two users streaming from Plex at any given time, then the i3 would be better. If cost is a thing, go with the Pentium.
Thanks you for your quick response. Cost won't be an issue, so I will go with the i3. I am just trying to figure out what is the best cpu I can install in the motherboard. I believe I can't go higher than the i3, It is just a little hard for me to figure out if there is a better option than the i3 that will give me the best performance without compromising compatibility.

m0nkey_

MVP
It's possible to put a E3-Xeon on that board, but to be fair in a home environment is overkill. The i3 will be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.