Folder To Folder Syncing Within Same Dataset

Waffelen

Dabbler
Hi All,

Hope this is not a stupid question, that I have missed something when searching for answers but I have a number of folders within 1 dataset that I want to be synced from an other folder within that same dataset. Wondering should I be using syncthing, resilio sync plugins or is there something simpler built into freenas like rsync or replication task? I am on version: FreeNAS-11.3-U1. There will be no syncing to any other machines either now or in the future its all within the one box, in one pool, in the same dataset.

Any and all pointers very welcome.

hervon

Patron
Replication task should work. I do it with two different pools. Same pools out same data dataset should work. Read documentation.

Waffelen

Dabbler
Cheers hervon, yea thats y i mentioned replication tasks. I had a look a them and the documentation before posting but thought they seemed to be concerned with snapshots and was unsure as I want to direct copy/sync data from folder to another.

Just gave it a good and worked perfectly! Thanks again.

blueether

Patron
What are you trying to achieve with this setup?

Just doing the snapshots may be enough

Waffelen

Dabbler
What are you trying to achieve with this setup?

Just doing the snapshots may be enough
So the use case a small office (5-6 people) all having outlook, using windows machines that want to access archive emails so when you add the archive to your account settings -> account settings -> data files when you then navigate to where the archive stored on the freenas box the first person that adds it is fine but then if anyone else trys to add it on a different machine from that folder it says its in use and you cant access. Easy way round it is to create a folder each for the 6 windows machines and put a copy of the same archive those so each user accesses their own (but the same) copy of said archive. One user/machine is the primary so each night I wanted to copy the primary users archive to all the other folders. Bit of a mess around but not too bad. Using the replication task is working but like I said above I was unsure if it was just a snapshot replication and not 'really' the original data but outlook is happily accessing the replicated archive so we're sweet!

Now I am having another problem (which cant find another thread to explain) but when first set up everyone was working on root user just until things were up and running (not a good idea but user creation was further down the list of prioritises, needed a working file system first and foremost). On the SMB share I selected "export recyle bin" and "show Hidden files" so there was familiar recycle bin (all windows users not very computer literate snapshots was just way beyond most of them). When everyone was on root user this was great, it recreated the folder system and placed the deleted file in the tree as it was in the main file system, all good, but now I have set everyone all into a group and individual users it has created user folders in the .recycle and again the folder tree of where things are deleted from is being created but the folders are all empty.

Wondering is it in the user permissions but I cant I cant edit the permissions or acl's on the root dataset (from the ui anyway) only subsets.