First Server Build Storage Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentk10

Explorer
I have been going through the slow process of setting up my first home server. Bought all the parts, got them working, did a lot of testing/reading/learning and I think I am finally to the point of setting up my server for non testing use.

I have connected the UPS and tested it.
Currently doing the SMART/Burn in on 2x4TB WD Red 5400 drives that I plan to use for my storage. I have 4 total of these drives, but only have 2 out of the box so far.

I bought some low mileage used drives to play with on my system for pretty cheap. All had between 0-70 hours of use according to the SMART data
Drives
  • 2x WD10PURX (1TB WD Purple) (tested and installed in system)
  • 2x WD10EFRX (1TB WD Red) (tested and installed in system)
  • 2x WD10EZEX (1TB WD Blue) (tested and installed in system)
  • 2x WD10EZRX (1TB WD Green) (still in the box)
  • 1x WD1003FZEX (1TB WD Black) (still in the box)
  • 2x Seagate ST1000DM003 (1TB) (still in the box)
I used the 6 drives installed in system for testing and learning. The two WD Blue drives are 7200 RPM and all the rest currently installed are 5400 RPM

From what I have read, its not a good practice to use desktop drives in my server, and it would also be bad to mix different drive speeds in the same pool.

I had originally planned to use 2 drive mirror vdevs (with my 4x4TB WD Red drives), and expand 2 drive mirror vdevs as needed. That was before I bought the used drives. Now I am wondering if a different set up might be better.

I'm sure years of windows use is clouding my judgement, but I was thinking about the following:
Pool 1: 2 drive mirror with 1 TB WD Blues for software (jails,vms) for now, not entirely sure what these will be...backup manager, owncloud, plex or some other media server are initial ideas.
Pool 2: 2 drive mirror with 1TB WD Reds for "working storage" (general documents/users shares of more currently used documents (have 4 kids that will use this for shcool work type of stuff))
Pool 3: 2 drive mirror with 4 TB WD Reds for "deep storage" (Pictures, Music, old saved documents, .ISO files)

I'm thinking of keeping the software separate since I am new to all of this. I was thinking that if I needed to destroy and start from scratch, having a separate pool might be a good idea?

Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Stux

MVP
I would put all the drives together mirrored in a single pool.

Administration will be simpler and overall performance will be better too.

Some of the desktop drives don't support TLER or have overly aggressive spin down settings. You should look into adjusting if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.