Couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

my95z34

Explorer
Ok, I wasn't sure what to name this thread, lol, my bad.

Anyway, when I set up my FreeNAS box, I had a mismash of drives. The box has 4 sata ports, and on those ports are 2x 1TB drives, 1x 2TB drive, and 1x 500gig drive. There is also a 1TB USB drive (I know....terrible idea...) the 2 1TB sata drives are on a mirror. The other 3 drives are striped. Well, the USB drive is failing (I KNOW!?! Who would have thunk it?! lol) I had been planning on replacing all drives with 3TB WD Red drives as I get the money.

So, over the past week or so I've been getting emails from the server regarding write errors to the USB drive. Whenever I'd run zpool status -v it would tell me the files. But now, it's just giving me a weird readout.
http://hastebin.com/resexequku.xml

So, that's my first question.

Second, seeing as I've only got 4 SATA ports, what's my best option for (temporarily) replacing the 3 striped with a single drive? I was originally thinking about shutting the box down, pulling the two mirrored drives out and popping in the one new drive then copying all files over to it.

But, now I just read that you can split a mirrored pair. Once doing this, are you able to reattach them without reslivering?

I'm just trying to figure out what my best option is here. I'm kinda stuck. =\

Thanks in advance!

//edit// I just read the docs a bit closer and I see that it is possible to re-attach the mirror. But, what happens if some of the data has changed while the drive was detached?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Wait. Let me get this straight. You have a single pool, and it consists of the following:
  • A vdev of 2x1TB drives, mirrored
  • A vdev of 1x2TB drive
  • A vdev of 1x500GB drive
  • A vdev of 1x1TB external USB drive.
These are all striped together to make your pool.

Is that correct?

Also, before we help you, we'll want to know the following

• What is your version of FreeNAS that you're running
  • What is your hardware (motherboard make/model, amount of RAM, etc)
I suspect based upon what you've said that you've violated every possible rule in the book.

my95z34

Explorer
Wait. Let me get this straight. You have a single pool, and it consists of the following:
  • A vdev of 2x1TB drives, mirrored
  • A vdev of 1x2TB drive
  • A vdev of 1x500GB drive
  • A vdev of 1x1TB external USB drive.
These are all striped together to make your pool.

Is that correct?

Also, before we help you, we'll want to know the following

• What is your version of FreeNAS that you're running
  • What is your hardware (motherboard make/model, amount of RAM, etc)
I suspect based upon what you've said that you've violated every possible rule in the book.

I've got no clue what vdevs are, lol. But no, there are two pools. One is the pair of mirrored 1TB, and the other is the 3 remaining drives striped.

I'm running 9.3.

Computer is a HP, so I'm not sure of the mobo, but the CPU is a Core2Duo E8400. Ram is 4 gigs.

I'm going to be honest with you, I jumped feet first into FreeNAS. I was just so worried about getting away from Windows Server Essentials that I didn't do a whole ton of research. I've been catching up a lot lately though. After I upgrade my hard drives, next is ram. (DDR2 is apparently hard to come by!)

So, yes. It unfortunately appears I broke every rule in the book. =\

danb35

Hall of Famer
It is possible to split a mirror, but that isn't what you really want to do here. The better course of action would be to offline one of the disks in the mirror, remove it from the system, do your other business, replace the disk, then use the GUI to replace the offline disk with itself. The disk would need to be resilvered, but it should only need to make the changes that were made to the pool in the interim (IOW, it wouldn't need to rewrite the whole disk).

The better plan yet would be to remove the mirrored pool entirely, install two new disks, make a mirrored pool on them, and copy your data (well, whatever you can access now that you have corrupt metadata) onto that.

Yes, you have broken pretty much every rule in the book. Rather than spending money upgrading your RAM (which, as you observe, is getting hard to find for such an old system, and therefore expensive) I'd encourage you to seriously consider replacing the system with something that meets the hardware recommendations. I'd also recommend you become thoroughly familiar with cyberjock's guide to ZFS.

my95z34

Explorer
It is possible to split a mirror, but that isn't what you really want to do here. The better course of action would be to offline one of the disks in the mirror, remove it from the system, do your other business, replace the disk, then use the GUI to replace the offline disk with itself. The disk would need to be resilvered, but it should only need to make the changes that were made to the pool in the interim (IOW, it wouldn't need to rewrite the whole disk).

The better plan yet would be to remove the mirrored pool entirely, install two new disks, make a mirrored pool on them, and copy your data (well, whatever you can access now that you have corrupt metadata) onto that.

Yes, you have broken pretty much every rule in the book. Rather than spending money upgrading your RAM (which, as you observe, is getting hard to find for such an old system, and therefore expensive) I'd encourage you to seriously consider replacing the system with something that meets the hardware recommendations. I'd also recommend you become thoroughly familiar with cyberjock's guide to ZFS.
Thanks for that info. I'll definitely be looking into a new system. That's for sure.

Also, you mentioned I have corrupt metadata. Is that what the link I posted shows? I was wondering what those were inside if the <>

Thank you, again!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
\
Also, you mentioned I have corrupt metadata. Is that what the link I posted shows? I was wondering what those were inside if the brackets
The stuff within the brackets is the metadata.

my95z34

Explorer
The stuff within the brackets is the metadata.

Damn.

Anyway to tell if it's a lot of a little? Lol. I've copied most of the stuff of the pool, just waiting for the new drive to show up and pull my 2.3tb of TV and movies. I've stopped all writing to the pool to avoid any more corruption.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.