Using Esata Drive to back up FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter

Explorer
I bought an external enclosure and a 3Tb WD Red drive to use in it to back up my FreeNAS mirror of 2 identical WD Red drives.

Does anyone know a command that would make the FreeNAS server recognize the new drive when I attach it? I have been rebooting the FreeNAS server with the drive attached, in order for it to see the drive and let me import it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
eSATA is, on a logical level, identical to SATA. Your system should immediately recognize it as just another SATA-attached hard drive.

I assume you are using an eSATA cable to connect an eSATA port on your server to the eSATA port on the enclosure (and not USB). If so, I'd try connecting the drive directly, without the enclosure. If that works, the problem lies within the enclosure.

hunter

Explorer
You're right, much to my delight, I simply plugged the eSATA cable connector on the drive, to the eSATA port on the computer case, and I could import the drive into FreeNAS.

Now that my snapshots are replicated to it, is there anything I should do besides export the drive in FreeNAS storage screen, before I unplug the drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.