Cannot See New eSATA Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Man

Dabbler
Hello, FreeNASers.

I physically attached a new eSATA external disk - for some rsync backups - to a client's FreeNAS machine, but nothing new has shown up on the View Disks page. Similarly, 'camcontrol devlist' does not display anything new.

What am I missing? There's nothing obvious in the doco, and I'm not a FreeBSD guru.

This is the first disk of 3 or 4, to be used for rotating backups, but I'd like to get it working before buying any more. It is a Welland eSATA case, and inside is a WD 4Tb Green.

And a nod towards where I could find a suitable script for an rsync backup to a removable disk would be appreciated, too. :)

mjws00

Guru
I would guess that the controller is missing a driver. Or there is a port multiplier or something not playing nice.
List exact hardware, and someone will likely spot it.

El_Man

Dabbler
Was beginning to suspect the hardware. The external eSATA port is on a PCI card in the machine, and it should be active, as two of the disks in the zpool are plugged into its internal SATA ports.

Yeah, I know, it's weird and maybe not a good idea. I didn't build this box, the client's previous IT provider did. Nor do I have any idea of what said PCI card is, I'll have to pull some things apart to find out, and that's not likely to happen before the new year.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is the eSATA cable longer than 1m? If so, get a shorter one.

El_Man

Dabbler
It's the standard one that came with the Welland disk case. Might not be the best quality, but pretty sure it's not longer than 1m. Will check that too.

mjws00

Guru
The add in card will have a cheapo Marvell controller that runs a no driver multiplier on the external port or something. Not unreasonable that internal ports could still run. But without knowing the actual gear it's only a guess. Don't know anything about the external case either so that's another crap shoot.

El_Man

Dabbler
I'm starting to dislike this hardware. Until I can shift this FreeNAS onto server hardware (for the current hardware, see here ), it looks like I'll have to attach the external disk to a PC and backup the data over the network using a robocopy script, and forget rsync for now. :mad:

Well, a project for 2015, then. :cool:

JoeVulture

Dabbler
Hello, FreeNASers.
And a nod towards where I could find a suitable script for an rsync backup to a removable disk would be appreciated, too. :)

I can help with the script - I just put something up today on my website with the details of how I do my backups using rsync.

Give this a shot.

El_Man

Dabbler
Thanks, Joe. I'll have a good look at your script. It sounds ideal. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.