Will I gain my original space back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilcode

Cadet
I am FINALLY going to build my first NAS after years of wanting to do so. I have a question though (and probably more to come as I go through this process)

I have 2x-2TB WD Red HDD's coming in from Newegg and I have 2x-1TB WD Black HDD's sitting here next to me. For the time being I want to put all 4 drives in Raidz1 until I gather up more pennies for 2 more 2TB red drives. I know that with the 2x 1TB drives in the array I will lose space as the 2x 2TB drives will be read as 1TB because of the lower capacity drives.

My question is do I lose that extra space completely or in a month when I do get 2 more 2TB drives will I be able to gain back the extra space from the first 2 -2TB drives once I put in additional 2TB drives?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
When you replace the 1TB with 2TB you can expand the zpool to fill the full 2TB of each drive.

nilcode

Cadet
Thank you for your response and clarification. From lurking around the site I see your name pretty much all over lol. Thank you for all your time and hard work around here. Your posts have helped me out a lot already. Nice to see a forum where the super mod stays active.

Lock thread as question has been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.