First Legit Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
First legit build because the first time around, I cut every corner I could and put together a box for ~$600, had no idea what I was doing and eventually lost some data due to lack of quality hardware combined with a complete lack of knowledge of admin.

Now, armed with the true fear of losing data and a desire to learn I set out on researching and building a properly thought out and relatively well administered FreeNAS box. After many posts, searches, requests for info and some serious help from diedrichg, SweetAndLow, Stux, Ericloewe and anyone else that commented or gave advice across 3 threads and 14 or so pages and even a phone call...I ended up with this:

Chassis: Fractal Design R5 Blackout w/ Window (I chose the blackout version, not pictured).
R5.jpg

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
20170420_142350.jpg
Mobo: Supermicro X11SSL-CF
20170420_125457.jpg
Memory: Crucial (2 x 16 GB) DDR-2133

PSU: Seasonic USA X-650KM3 650 Watts ATX Modular Power Supply
PSU.jpg

Fans: 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm Fans
20170420_123512.jpg

Boot: 120 GB SanDisk SSD

And a CyberPower UPS that I picked up at Costco.

It looked like this before anything happened:
20170419_130036.jpg

(Yes, those are remote control LED lights...for style points).
Also purchased 6 + 1 Cold Spare 3TB WD Reds.
20170427_000636.jpg

I put the hardware together:
20170426_234540.jpg 20170421_001351.jpg 20170427_011637.jpg

and had a successful POST.

Moving on to the testing,
I followed along with Uncle Festers Hardware Validation
I downloaded Breakin to run the cpu. I ran for I think 4 hours and monitored temps the whole way.
Passed w/o issue.

I downloaded memtest86+ and ran that for 4 hours and 24 hours w/o issue.

I followed qwertymodo's
"How To" on Hard Drive Burn in. Conveyance, short, long, badblocks (50+ hours), long.
All drives passed.

Side note, couple days later one of the drives showed a read error. Returned/replaced and had to burn-in test again.
All good then and since.

The GUI showed a warning for a mismatch for my LSI 3008 controller firmware/driver. I had seen the issue of the version on the driver/firmware being offset, but for me (Supermicro X11SSL-CF mobo w/ the LSI 3008) the firmware version and driver version were both 12. Had to flash the firmware, took some reading and researching to figure out what to do. DL'd the firmware from supermicro HERE and THIS youtube video was very helpful in actually flashing the firmware (be sure to go "into" the USB stick or change to the USB stick so you get the fs0 prompt and THEN kick it off). I did not the first time and it cleared out the firmware but could not open the install files on the usb stick. Once I got in there, it found it and installed no problem.

Followed a combination DrKK's How-To: First Configuration for Small FreeNAS Deployments
and Uncle Fester's Basic FreeNAS 9.10 Configuration Guide to get my basics setup (general settings, pool, router settings, email)

I followed Cyberjock's Scrub and SMART testing schedules

I set up a SMB share following this walkthru video.

Downloaded Plex and set it up. Forget which thread and/or video I found that helped me get it up and running.

I think I still need to set up automatic config file saves and some other housekeeping items (any suggestions are always welcome!). Someone had a thread with a bunch of useful scripts that I wanted to look into. Considering Radarr and Sonarr and VPN and....stuff. As of now, I can stream videos to various displays around my house and share pictures.
I am very happy with all the work I put in and am really looking forward to the fruits of my labor.

This community has always been helpful and I don't know much, but what I do know about FreeNAS I learned exclusively here. A special shout out to deidrichg who really helped out endlessly (and continues to do so). Thank you to everyone that helped, commented or even pointed and laughed at my mistakes. There will be more mistakes to come, I'm sure. But this build really expanded my small knowledge base.

With all the time, thinking and dollars put into this thing, I am really proud to say:
FreeNAS 9.10.2.U2 STABLE
Supermicro X11SSL-CF
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5
32 GB Crucial (2 x 16 GB) DDR-2133 ECC
6 WD Red 3TB in RAIDZ2
120GB Kingston SSD Boot

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That's an awfully big power supply for something that probably idles at 55 watts, sir. :)

diedrichg

Wizard
I know there is much debate about the position of that kind of CPU cooler. Might I suggest you put the fan on the bottom of the radiator to push the hot air UP.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Might I suggest you put the fan on the bottom of the radiator to push the hot air UP.
Agreed, that will also help move the heat from the two small heatsinks on the motherboard out.

It's easy to do, since the fan on the Evo just clips onto the fins.

I know there is much debate about the position of that kind of CPU cooler. Might I suggest you put the fan on the bottom of the radiator to push the hot air UP.

I'll flip it around next shutdown.

That's an awfully big power supply for something that probably idles at 55 watts, sir. :)
Size matters? Lol.
Well, I added 2 drives that I'm going to be using as a separate pool, and the simple spreadsheet I put together (watts x 1.25) = 565 watts...so I figured over 550 means 650? What's my downside on this?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What's my downside on this?
Minimal. Power supplies are typically less efficient at the low end of their output range, so you might be burning a few watts more than needed, but the difference is unlikely to be significant.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Size matters? Lol.
Well, I added 2 drives that I'm going to be using as a separate pool, and the simple spreadsheet I put together (watts x 1.25) = 565 watts...so I figured over 550 means 650? What's my downside on this?

Size matters? Lol.
Your downside is nothing major, but it *IS* similar to filling your Hyundai Accent's fuel tank with 93 octane premium gas. It won't actually do anything, and you've wasted money.

ccssid

Explorer
yes you could have gone 550 psu....but not really a big deal at all. You are fine.!

thanks for posting the overview! this and your previous thread were very helpful as i've been planning/building a box that resembles yours. by tomorrow, i'll be finished with badblocks and can move on with some of the other similar testing you've done for ram and cpu.

Your downside is nothing major, but it *IS* similar to filling your Hyundai Accent's fuel tank with 93 octane premium gas. It won't actually do anything, and you've wasted money.
Smack on the wrist for calling this thing a Hyundai Accent! It probably cost more than a used Hyundai Accent at this point! LOL

KrisBee

Wizard
Downside of a better power output matched psu is a possible lack of sata power connectors. Quality exentions to sata power are hard to find, some can be decidely hazardous. Your seasonic psu is top quality.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Heh, 93. You can't buy less than 95 around here.

diedrichg

Wizard

Redcoat

MVP

Are you accounting for the 4 to 6 point difference resulting from the different standards used to post ratings on the pumps in the US and EU (higher value in EU)?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh! So Portugal has only the finest refined gasoline?
Europe in general. "Premium" is 98 and nobody bothers.

Almost drinkable.
Yeah, you might want to avoid that...

Are you accounting for the 4 to 6 point difference resulting from the different standards used to post ratings on the pumps in the US and EU (higher value in EU)?
Not specifically, but it's still weird how American gasoline goes so low (92ish by the more standard measure).

diedrichg

Wizard
US manufacturers rarely post a minimum octane. 87 is the lowest and recommended for most engines, higher octanes have been debunked to be a significant improvement.

Stux

MVP

US and other places use a different Octane calculation method. Means you need to know how the calculation was made to directly compare the ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.