First time build questions, again

Status
Not open for further replies.

kangwenhao

Cadet
I posted in this board several months ago (original thread here), and after much hemming and hawing, I had decided to go with the Supermicro X10SRL-F and Xeon E5, but then I found the Supermicro X11SSL-cF, which I had initially dismissed as being too expensive, at a cheaper price (~$270). So, once again, here are the two options I'm considering (to save you the bother of reading my original thread, my main use cases are backup/storage and plex transcoding/streaming):

Option 1:
MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4
Memory: 2x Crucial 16GB DDR4-2133 Registered ECC

or

Option 2:
MB: Supermicro X11SSL-CF-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5
Memory: 2x Crucial 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC

In either case, the rest of the build will be:
Case: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: SeaSonic G Series 550W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular
CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
HDDs: 8x WD Red 4TB NAS 5400 RPM
OS storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB

1. My main question is whether there are any advantages to the X11SSL-CF and Xeon E3 over the X10SRL-F and E5. Price-wise, it looks like they both come out about the same, and the X10/E5 has a much higher limit on RAM, so is there any reason to go for the X11/E3 instead?
  2. If I do go with the X10/E5, does anyone know if it can take a generic cpu cooler like the Hyper 212, or do I need one specifically for LGA2011, like this one?
  3. On the topic of cooling, will I need any extra case fans for the Define R5? The system will probably end up crammed into a corner of my poorly-ventilated little apartment, so I'm somewhat worried about temperatures.
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My main question is whether there are any advantages to the X11SSL-CF and Xeon E3 over the X10SRL-F and E5. Price-wise, it looks like they both come out about the same, and the X10/E5 has a much higher limit on RAM, so is there any reason to go for the X11/E3 instead?
The LGA1151 boards are smaller. Which isn't going to make a difference to most people...

If I do go with the X10/E5, does anyone know if it can take a generic cpu cooler like the Hyper 212, or do I need one specifically for LGA2011, like this one?
Any narrow ILM (not the consumer-style square ILM) cooler will work, but consumer coolers generally don't support this.

Edit: Mixed up the cooler mounting solutions.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The x10 E5 boards are Narrow ILM, square ILM cooler without adapter will not work.
Huh, indeed. The image I was looking at must've been of the wrong board.

Status
Not open for further replies.