First FreeNAS build (storage only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamberry

Contributor
Hi everyone

Excuse my spelling, I am not a native speaker. I will build my first freenas build. I will use it mostly for Plex data, maybe some iSCSI VMs later on. I like to have seperate hardware for separate purposes, that is why I will not use FreeNAS for Plex or VMs. The system should be cheap and low power.

Here is my build list. Any tips or stuff I should look out for?
I like the motherboard, because it already has two nics and a total of 14 drives.
The CPU I choose because of Hardware AES and low power consumption.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Looks good. Just make sure the memory you buy is on Supermicro's compatibility list.

Jamberry

Contributor
Looks good. Just make sure the memory you buy is on Supermicro's compatibility list.
Is it that important? I am asking because the motherboard is quiet new and the compatibility list is pretty small. In my workstation experience I never had any problems using unsupported RAM with the correct Voltage.

Do you think the CPU us powerful enough? I could not find any real data on that topic. SMB (not sure if I will even use it), snapshot and hash calculation are the only demanding tasks I can think of.

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Is it that important?
Mostly yes. Supermicro don't test everything which is why the list is small. You could try Crucial's or Kingston's compatibility checker to identify the correct modules to use.
Do you think the CPU us powerful enough?
The Pentium will cope with most file sharing scenarios and one or two Plex streams. If you want more processing power, consider getting an i3 processor (yes, Skylake i3 processors support ECC).

Jamberry

Contributor
Mostly yes. Supermicro don't test everything which is why the list is small. You could try Crucial's or Kingston's compatibility checker to identify the correct modules to use.

The Pentium will cope with most file sharing scenarios and one or two Plex streams. If you want more processing power, consider getting an i3 processor (yes, Skylake i3 processors support ECC).
Thank you very much. I think i will take the G3930. I will not run Plex on Freenas, only the Data is stored on FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.