First FreeNAS Build, with some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbitrar

Cadet
Hi! I'm planning on building a storage server for home use as an NFS for all the computers in the house. I'll be using it with NFS (obviously), and perhaps as a torrent seeder, but not much else. As such, I don't need too much power when it comes to computation, I assume. I've looked around some hardware recommendations briefly for the past day or so, and I believe I've come up with something that's just about sufficient. Of course, since I have absolutely no experience when it comes to this sort of hardware, I don't want to spend the money on all the parts only to realize I've made a stupidly simple yet fatal mistake. Thus, without further ado, here's the list I've made:

Case: Fractal Design Node 804. It has lots of 3.5" bays, it's MicroATX, and it looks alright.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258. The Hardware Guide recommends a G3220, and as far as I can tell, this is a slightly better version of it, except not EOL. I may well be wrong.
ARK Comparison between the aforementioned two processors:
https://ark.intel.com/compare/77773,82723

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F.

Memory: (x2) Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B (2x8GB DDR3-1600). Some source (one of the older hardware guides, I think?) suggests that this model is simply a rebrand of a Micron model that Supermicro includes on its tested memory list. It doesn't matter much to me as long as it's got ECC, so if I would be significantly better off with another model, let me know.

Boot drive: PNY SSD7CS1311-120-RB (120GB, SSD). Or, whatever well-rated SSD's the cheapest at the time. Or, even, is there any issue with getting a USB header adapter and using a flash drive? (I don't want it sticking out of the IO panel)

Hard drive: (2-8x) Western Digital WD80EFZX (Red, 8TB).

Power supply: SeaSonic SS-760XP2 (760W, 80+ Platinum). This is probably overkill by a large degree, but I might upgrade this in the future, and I don't want to buy anything again that I don't need to: it's not even that much more expensive than other comparable PSUs at lower wattage.

Any suggestions that can drop the price are welcome: the build in its current state just about hits the breaking point for my budget. Of course, I'm not at all suggesting that I want to cut corners. I want it to serve its purpose well, and perhaps be open to upgrades in the future. And, since I want my data to be as reliable as possible, any recommendations as to fairly redundant configurations are also welcome. Please note, though, that I don't want to buy all 8 drives at once. I was thinking to start off with 2-5 at first, purely due to finance and impatience.

Oh, and on a vaguely related note: I've also got this Xfinity UPS that I know nothing about. I got it from an estate sale. It seems to be outputting clean power, and has served me well, with nothing exploding. Should I get a UPS that someone on Earth has heard about to use with this build, or is it okay?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Or, even, is there any issue with getting a USB header adapter and using a flash drive?
USB flash drives are crap, so you're better off with at least two, but no, no problem.

Why Haswell instead of Skylake? Was it cheaper?

arbitrar

Cadet
USB flash drives are crap, so you're better off with at least two, but no, no problem.

Why Haswell instead of Skylake? Was it cheaper?
Yeah, I didn't plan on running off of a single flash drive. I will probably just get SSDs anyway, I just wanted to know my options.

To be honest with you, I chose my motherboard first so I didn't even think to look at any other architecture :p. I made a real quick draft for a build update. If I am targetting LGA 1151, are these good selections?:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560. Same as before in that I took the Hardware Guide recommendation of the Pentium 4400 and went a little bit up the performance ramp, because price isn't too much higher.
ARK comparison for the previous two and these two all at once:
https://ark.intel.com/compare/88179,97143,77773,82723

Motherboard: SuperMicro X11SSL-CF. I'll also need to buy one of those cables that expands mini SAS into 4xSATA to fit all my drives in this one, right?

Memory: (x2-4) Crucial CT16G4WFD8213 (1x16GB). The first good stick of RAM I found which meets requirements. Really, any ECC DIMM of 16GB would do.

This works out to have negligible difference in price from my original plan, with a new max of 64GB of RAM, a higher clock speed, hyperthreading, and AES-NI if I decide to do encryption. Thank you very much.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Motherboard: SuperMicro X11SSL-CF. I'll also need to buy one of those cables that expands mini SAS into 4xSATA to fit all my drives in this one, right?
SFF-8643 breakout cable, yeah.

You can also go with with an X11SSM-F and only add an HBA later if/when needed. Downside is that you're limited to USB for boot and have no spare SATA ports.

Dice

Wizard
This works out to have negligible difference in price from my original plan, with a new max of 64GB of RAM, a higher clock speed, hyperthreading, and AES-NI if I decide to do encryption. Thank you very much.
I'm happy you ended up with this solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.