First FreeNAS build hardware recommendation needed (relocated)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Here's my bargain:

That looks like it could be a good deal. I would want more details about what exactly is in it, but they only offer local pickup.

joeinaz

Contributor
Free local pickup is included: The motherboard is the X10SAE. If someone has a preference, I have an X9 board available as an option. The wheels are really cool as my other FreeNAS box is much harder to move. At the sametime, the wheels can be locked and this system can become immobile. The system is fairly quiet as well.

mhweb

Explorer
@Chris Moore About the drives, I decided to start with 6 10TB 7200rpm WD drives, and I'm getting a Rosewill RSV-L4412 case, so I can later on add another 6 drives.

mhweb

Explorer
@Chris Moore I remember you saying that the Seagate drives a little quieter, the only reason I decided to with WD was reliability, and because the FreeNAS recommends them. Would you say that Seagate are a better choice?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
@Chris Moore I remember you saying that the Seagate drives a little quieter, the only reason I decided to with WD was reliability, and because the FreeNAS recommends them. Would you say that Seagate are a better choice?
It is certainly dependent on a number of factors. As an example, 10k and 15k RPM drives, back when they were a thing, were much louder than 7200 RPM drives and 5400 RPM drives are quieter than the 7200 RPM models. With the drives I have experience with, the HGST (Hitachi) drives were loudest of all, followed by Western Digital and the Seagate drives were both the coolest running and quietest drives. Your mileage may vary as I am sure the results will be different depending on the specific model in question.
I have standardized (for now) on the Seagate ST4000DM000 model drive for the quiet and cool operation. When I compared to equivalent drives from Western Digital, in my own systems, the Seagate drives ran around 10 °C cooler and that makes a big difference in a large population of drives. The Seagate drives were also noticeably quieter during seek operations. I have 36 of the Seagate drives in service at this time. I also have eight WD Gold drives, WD6002FRYZ, but that is not the model drive I was comparing against the Seagate drives.
I have tested many of these things personally, but I don't claim that my results are the only answer.
The Seagate Iron Wolf drives I have tested are louder and hotter than the Seagate ST4000DM000 drives I am using. When it comes time for me to replace my current storage, I am not sure what I will move to, but I am not a fan of the Iron Wolf drives.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Would you say that Seagate are a better choice?
Where I work, we bought a new server with 60 of the Seagate Exos drives. I think the model was ST10000NM0016. They have been running for nearly two years now and we have only needed to replace two of them. Not too bad in my experience.