First FreeNAS Build, some questions about PSU and tips whether doing right

Evertb1

Guru
If I want to add more drives in the future I can use the 3 molex connectors with adaptors.
I don't like adapters at all. I have a ordered a bunch of Seasonic modular Sata cables with 4 plugs. The modular plugs fit into all the PSU's I have (even the Corsairs) with modular cables. The only thing that is different is the wiring schema. I have learned how to disconnect the pins from the modular plug and to reconnect them according to the schema that is correct for the target PSU. So if I need to power more drives and only have Molex cables left I just rewire one of those Seasonic cables (if needed) and I am good to go again.

Evertb1

Guru
The only source I found is the 2x SATA cable in my link above, but I couldn't find any 4 plugs version.
My reseller was so kind to order a bunch of them at the Dutch Seasonic importer. I told them what I needed and they provided me that service. To my utterly surprise I received them directly form the importer on my home adress with best wishes and no bill! I can't promise they do that again though :). By the way the reseller was Alternate and that is from origin a German company if I am not mistaken. The cables that I received are marked NB55 and I think they are normally delivered with one of the better, higher capacity models of Seasonic.

A lot of brands use the same connectors for the Peripheral-IDE/Sata/Molex cables. I have Antec, Corsair and Seasonic cables and the connectors all fit in the other brands PSU's. But be warned! The wiring schema can and will differ. Put in a connector that is wired wrong for that PSU and bad things happen. Always make sure you mimic the original cable! So buying adapters is way more easy. On the other hand, the past years if have produced several modded cables and I am happy with them. And as soon as you know what you are doing it takes less then 10 minutes to mod the cable.

artlessknave

Wizard
Ok, but at the moment I don't understand what would be the benefit of using a PCIe controller instead of the on board controller. Better data throughput? Or better reliability?
more ports mainly, and booting from onboard is often easier than booting from pcie, since the motherboard handles it directly. some boards don't boot from even onboard m.2 well or at all.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't like adapters at all. I have a ordered a bunch of Seasonic modular Sata cables with 4 plugs. The modular plugs fit into all the PSU's I have (even the Corsairs) with modular cables. The only thing that is different is the wiring schema. I have learned how to disconnect the pins from the modular plug and to reconnect them according to the schema that is correct for the target PSU. So if I need to power more drives and only have Molex cables left I just rewire one of those Seasonic cables (if needed) and I am good to go again.
Careful! Seasonic and Corsair have incompatible pinouts, even though the connectors fit! Particularly, Corsair Type 3 and Type 4 (as used by most units in the past ~7 years) molex/SATA cables are wired differently than Seasonic Type 2 (as used by most/all Seasonics starting with the KM3 X-Series) cables.

Evertb1

Guru
Careful! Seasonic and Corsair have incompatible pinouts, even though the connectors fit! Particularly, Corsair Type 3 and Type 4 (as used
That is where I explicitly for warned:
But be warned! The wiring schema can and will differ. Put in a connector that is wired wrong for that PSU and bad things happen.

Study the pin layout from your original cables. Take them as an example. Then you are good. It takes no special tools to take out the pins and readjust them accordingly to your PSU.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just want to make it absolutely clear.

Study the pin layout from your original cables. Take them as an example. Then you are good. It takes no special tools to take out the pins and readjust them accordingly to your PSU.
Have you tried this? I was wondering how typical pin contacts deal with multiple insertions into the plug. I figure they should be fine, most likely, but I wonder if some cheaper Chinese Molex knockoffs might be too fragile.

Evertb1

Guru
Have you tried this? I was wondering how typical pin contacts deal with multiple insertions into the plug. I figure they should be fine, most likely, but I wonder if some cheaper Chinese Molex knockoffs might be too fragile.
Yes I have done this more then one time. I do it the same way that a lot of modders do if they want to sleeve the cables. Like this guy here.
It really works like a charm and the "tool" used will cost you about a cent. I have't seen a damaged pin or connector yet. But I avoid cheap chinese knockoffs (I hope). I just adjust an original cable of a good brand and re-arange the wiring for my purposes.

Last edited:

Stevie_1der

Explorer
My reseller was so kind to order a bunch of them at the Dutch Seasonic importer. I told them what I needed and they provided me that service. To my utterly surprise I received them directly form the importer on my home address with best wishes and no bill! I can't promise they do that again though :). By the way the reseller was Alternate and that is from origin a German company if I am not mistaken. The cables that I received are marked NB55 and I think they are normally delivered with one of the better, higher capacity models of Seasonic.
Thanks for the info!
I know Alternate because I am from Germany, maybe I'll contact them.

HoMS87

Dabbler
Thx for all the help so far. I have updated my initial post with all the things I have ordered now.

HoMS87

Dabbler
more ports mainly, and booting from onboard is often easier than booting from pcie, since the motherboard handles it directly. some boards don't boot from even onboard m.2 well or at all.
Yes you are right. Super Micro Support answered and booting from PCIe card with NVMe SSD is not possible. Now I switched over to an USB3.0 case for a SATA SSD. As the board has an internal USB3.0 plug this shouldn't be a problem.

Stevie_1der

Explorer
Yes you are right. Super Micro Support answered and booting from PCIe card with NVMe SSD is not possible.

Yes, according to their OS compatibility chart for C226 boards, it isn't possible for the X10SLH-F (or any other C226 board).

The C22x chipsets are generation "Lynx Point" (the same as for example the consumer Z87 chipset).
But afaik, PCIe M.2 was introduced in the following generation "Wildcat Point" (Z97, with the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 being the first to feature PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2) which has no server analogon.

Now I switched over to an USB3.0 case for a SATA SSD. As the board has an internal USB3.0 plug this shouldn't be a problem.
I don't know if this will be reliable over time.

What about a LSI Logic SAS9212-4i Raidcontroller (HP XP310AA) instead?
This has 4 SATA/SAS ports instead of SFF connectors, and must be flashed to IT mode first, but it's cheap and server-grade...

Yorick

Wizard
For a boot drive, you could also decide to use the controller in raid mode and boot off a raid 1. Might be easier on setting the bios up to still boot correctly in degraded state.

HoMS87

Dabbler

Evertb1

Guru
Ok, then I have a question, How do I connect drives to an SAS-Port? Never used SAS before ^^
I am not familiar with the card @Stevie_1der proposed but as far as I can see that card has Sata compatible connectors. So you can use ordinary Sata cables to connect your drives. SAS controllers can host Sata drives without a problem (never the other way around though). The only thing you need to take care of is to flash the card to IT mode so it won't cause conflicts with the ZFS diskmanagement.

Personaly I would prefer an HBA Like the Dell Perc H310 or something like that. But you have options without breaking the bank and that is always nice.

HoMS87

Dabbler
as far as I can see that card has Sata compatible connectors. So you can use ordinary Sata cables to connect your drives. SAS controllers can host Sata drives without a problem (never the other way around though).
Ah ok, thx. I didn't see that the ports are SATA ports.
For the case that I order an HBA with SAS ports, do I need special cables to connect normal SATA HDDs?
I think I will try the USB solution with regular beackups of the OS. As I read FreeNAS offers many possibilities for backing it up (configuration, complete OS and so on)

Evertb1

Guru
do I need special cables to connect normal SATA HDDs?
An HBA like the Dell I mentioned and many others will be equipped with 2 Mini SAS ports. Each can be broken out to 4 Sata connectors. In order to do that, you need to have a cable with one SFF 8087 connector (Mini SAS 36 pin) and with four Sata 7 pins connectors) like this one. One thing to be aware of is that SAS to Sata cables like these are directional. So make sure you buy a SAS to Sata Forward Breakout cable. If you are curious about the how and why for SAS to Sata cabling you can read something about it here.

Last edited:

Evertb1

Guru
I think I will try the USB solution with regular beackups of the OS
There is no need to backup up your OS. What you should do is download your configuration and save it on a secure place (with every change you make). Should you lose your boot medium you only need to reinstall FreeNAS on a new bootmedium and upload you configuration. And you will be good to go again. I have done that several times (when I was still using USB flash drives as boot medium) and it can be done in 15 to 20 minutes or so.

artlessknave

Wizard
there are a ton of useful links in my signature provided by freenas dev; you might want to check some of them out, for things like how SAS works and recomended drives