First FreeNAS Build, some questions about PSU and tips whether doing right

HoMS87

Dabbler
So I setup everything and am playing around with the system now before I move my data on it. But I have a question. is there a proper way to move my date from the old NAS (Promise Smartstor NS4600) to my FreeNAS system?
I don't want to use my normal PC for it because it has no ECC RAM. What I would like to do is copy all data directly over network from my old NAS. Is this possible? I googled around a little bit but couldn't find somethink useful.

artlessknave

Wizard
realistically, you can just use windows, particularly if the source doesn't have ECC, but if you want to be paranoid about it:

you can mount any cifs/nfs folder into a unix folder using standard unix commands and then rsync the files (rsync is MUCH nicer than cp, especially when interupted).
I don't 100% recall offhand the exact syntax, but something like:
Code:
(sudo) mount -t cifs //1.2.3.4/windowsshare /mnt/windowsshare -o username=somebody
(sudo) rsync (-a) /mnt/windowsshare /mnt/zfspool/whatever

(mount should ask for password; you can also use
Code:
 -o username=somebody,password=something 
I believe

I am not familiar with this promise smartstor at all, but if it has standard ssh access, you can also use rsync with ssh directly, something like:
Code:
rsync -avz -e "ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null" --progress /root/bigfile.txt username@198.211.117.129:/ 

I have trouble getting the rsync syntax right, as /folder and /folder/ and /folder/* have slightly different behavior, so if you do use rysnc make sure you get it to do that you want, instead of just copy-pasting my examples

HoMS87

Dabbler
Ok, thx. I'll try :)