Files deleted from SMB share, but FreeNAS still thinks the data is there

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwisherSweet

Contributor
Hi,

I got a warning that I'm at 80% usage of my primary data pool. I found that there was about 1TB of old data I no longer need (duplicate) and I deleted it from a Mac via networking connection to my FreeNAS server. After the deleted completed, I browse the directory and the data was indeed gone.

However, this did not free any space on my primary data pool. It still shows that 1TB of used data.

Is there something I need to do in order to tell FreeNAS to reclaim that deleted space?

Perhaps it is due to having snapshots on that pool, but that doesn't make sense to me.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Perhaps it is due to having snapshots on that pool, but that doesn't make sense to me.
As long at the snapshot exists, the space on disk referenced by the snapshot can't be free to use for new data. That is why you don't get the space back after a delete until the snapshot either expires or is manually deleted.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I got a warning that I'm at 80% usage of my primary data pool.
PS. When you get to the 80% point, nothing breaks, it is a warning to let you know it is time to upgrade your capacity before you hit the 90% point. When the pool goes over 90% full, the algorithm used to store data changes and it makes storing new data much slower.

SwisherSweet

Contributor
Thanks all. I do have scheduled snapshots. I forgot that snapshots will hold space for deleted items until they expire. Appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.