SMB restart needed to free up space of deleted files

Pas05

Dabbler
Hey, so yesterday my machine complained about my ssd pool hitting 80% usage, i deleted a bunch of files, but i couldn't make the files to free up space in my dataset, by trial and error i restarted the SMB service. After the restart of SMB the space of the deleted files was free again. Today i had this exact same thing happening again. I updated to Bluefin TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0 5 days ago.

I use my ssd pool to record a bunch of video and delete unwanted stuff very frequently (pretty much daily).
Since this happened yesterday and today and not the days before after the upgrade to 22.12 i feel like it probably was caused by me accessing this ssd pool via my VPN connection via smb. Could it be that after i disconnected from the VPN the SMB connection went "stale" and all the files that were "assigned" to this connection session were still allocating space even tho i deleted them afterwards? Or is there maybe a new setting i am missing that got added in 22.12? Right now the only fix i see is to restart the SMB service.

NugentS

MVP
It takes time for TN to recognise cleared space. If you create a new dataset, add a load of files and then delete them it will be a while (minutes) before the space clears.
As another alternative - so you have snapshots?

Pas05

Dabbler
No snapshots enabled, thats the first thing i checked since i ran into this a few years ago. It also was way more than a few minutes, it has been like hours since i deleted the files.