Error when booting up for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
According to post #14 above FreeNAS deliberately refrains from using the gateway information provided by the DHCP server. However, I cannot find this documented in the manual, only a suggestion that if configuring the IP manually you may consider not adding a default gateway. However, if true, it would explain the original poster's problem.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
According to post #14 above FreeNAS deliberately refrains from using the gateway information provided by the DHCP server. However, I cannot find this documented in the manual, only a suggestion that if configuring the IP manually you may consider not adding a default gateway. However, if true, it would explain the original poster's problem.
This is indeed, not true. If your dhcp is configured properly it will use the settings your dhcp provides.

danb35

Hall of Famer
According to post #14 above FreeNAS deliberately refrains from using the gateway information provided by the DHCP server.
That is not consistent with my experience--whether or not I have an IP reservation on my router, the FreeNAS box (using various builds of 9.3) correctly picks up IP, gateway, and DNS from my DHCP server. If it does otherwise, there's a bug, either at the DHCP server or on the FreeNAS box. I can't imagine any possible legitimate reason to deliberately break a DHCP client that way. For that matter, I have trouble imagining a legitimate reason to deliberately omit DNS and gateway information from static IP configuration, but at least that would be a deliberate user choice.

rogerh

Guru
I can't imagine any possible legitimate reason to deliberately break a DHCP client that way. For that matter, I have trouble imagining a legitimate reason to deliberately omit DNS and gateway information from static IP configuration, but at least that would be a deliberate user choice.

That may be reasonable. It means that any poorly configured service (which might have an unpatched vulnerability) or malware on the FreeNAS machine can't reach any computers outside the local subnet. If DNS servers, ntp servers, backup servers or update servers are wanted and not available on the local network, static routes can be set up, only to the particular destinations you want them to use. It does make patching FreeNAS less of a worry, and there is no need for FreeNAS to have general Internet access.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The note doesn't say FreeNAS doesn't. I just gives reasons why you might consider not providing a default gateway.

rogerh

Guru
I don't think the original poster confirmed that he has a solution. I still want to know if FreeNAS generated ntp errors if it has no IP address configured, or only if it has an IP but no DNS and default gateway (such as might happen with misconfigured DHCP).

Status
Not open for further replies.