Error when booting up for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed FreeNAS 10.1 to a new Supermicro MBD-X10SLM+-F-O server. Installed from a USB drive to a second USB drive. When I booted after the install, I get an error message repeated over and over:

May 1 02:58:19 freenas collectd[651]: write_graphite plugin: getaddrinvo (localhost, 2003, tcp) failed: non-recoverable failure in name resolution

Times change and it's April 30. What does this mean. Nothing was done with the 6 3TB drives. Just plugged them in. Was there something I was supposed to do?

OK, I downloaded that version, created a boot USB drive, and installed it. Now I get repeated error messages:

May 1 15:08:52 freenas ntpd_initres[2056]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

This is repeated with 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org and 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
OK, I downloaded that version, created a boot USB drive, and installed it. Now I get repeated error messages:

May 1 15:08:52 freenas ntpd_initres[2056]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

This is repeated with 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org and 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
You don't have a name server configured

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you do that on a brand new server that has never been booted? The server is on a network and there is a name server on the network.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Excuse my ignorance, but how do you do that on a brand new server that has never been booted? The server is on a network and there is a name server on the network.
Did you give it a static IP address?

Did you go into the web interface and configure the name server?

If you give it a static IP, you have to provide a name server.

The error message you see is simply telling you it cannot check for NTP updates. It is not a bad error at all.

RTFM ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist... Login into the freenas gui with your pc connected to your LAN with the IP address it obtained from your DHCP server. Now follow the on screen instructions of the initial configuration wizard and use the manual with it. After that you can configure the network settings in the gui.

This IP address is shown right below the console setup menu. If the menu is hidden because of all the error messages, just choose 4 and hit enter. Don't change anything in the next steps and you will get back to the menu, with the IP right below it (i'm sure there must be a simpler way that i don't know of, but this is easy enough).

If you don't have a DHCP server, you can configure the IP address from the console menu, using menu option 1

I am booting the server up for the first time. I can't get to the freenas gui. I haven't had the opportunity to enter/configure anything.

It is booted if you get those errors ;)
Have you tried the things in my post?
Hint: the console setup menu is where you see those error messages

It's still in the loop generating the errors over and over. I Ctrl-C'ed out of the loop and got the menu. I can try your suggestions now.

Ah, so a simple Ctrl-C is the easy way to get the menu showing again, thanks. Should have thought about that myself :oops:

rogerh

Guru
Presumably it is getting an IP address from DHCP but either no nameserver, or no default gateway, or even no outgoing traffic permitted. So this is a problem with the local DHCP server rather than with FreeNAS. Or if ntp is showing those errors with no NIC configured at all then that would be a FreeNAS bug (if but a minor one).

These are not configured by default, for security reasons. It is mentioned in the manual, in the link I sent you earlier.

EDIT: Apparently this is not correct, see next posts

Last edited:

rogerh

Guru
These are not configured by default, for security reasons. It is mentioned in the manual, in the link I sent you earlier.

In that case, ntpd, or anything else which is going to generate an error when it can't contact a server, should not be started by default.

I don't agree. I just want to configure my network and don't bother with setting up a ntp server, but that's just my opinion, I do see why people might like to see it done differently.

danb35

Hall of Famer
?? FreeNAS defaults to configuring the first available interface via DHCP. If the DHCP server is set up correctly, it will provide the DNS server(s) and default gateway IP address to the system. If all of that is working correctly, name resolution on the FreeNAS box should work correctly out of the box. Conversely, if the FreeNAS server can't reach the Internet or resolve hostnames, the DHCP server is almost certainly misconfigured. Of course, if you've manually configured the interface, all bets are off.

My DHCP server is working perfectly for ALL other devices in my network, but the default gateway was definitly empty in FreeNAS. So I would be very surprised if that is an issue on the DHCP server side. DNS I'm not sure anymore actually, I do know I had troubles with that, even filed a bug, which was solved very quickly, but not sure if it was related to the same.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
My DHCP server is working perfectly for ALL other devices in my network, but the default gateway was definitly empty in FreeNAS. So I would be very surprised if that is an issue on the DHCP server side. DNS I'm not sure anymore actually, I do know I had troubles with that, even filed a bug, which was solved very quickly, but not sure if it was related to the same.
The default gateway setting in the GUI may have been empty(it should be unless you manually put something in), but it would get a gateway if your dhcp server is correctly handing out that info.

Hmm... Maybe I am a bit confused then. I think I remember I did not have a connection to the Internet, but since I do not have hard evidence I will just shut up now...

Did not think my memory would fail on me that soon [emoji20]

Status
Not open for further replies.