DVD Drive PassThrough to VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Torrie

Cadet
HI Team,

I'm wanting to switch from my Windows 10 based home server back to FreeNAS 11 but am having 1 issue that could be a dealbreaker.

is there a way to have the DVD Drive ( either via USB or Internal SATA ) pass through from the FreeNAS system into a Windows Based VM?

the reason:
i often need to copy Media content to DVD for other family members and none of the Laptops in the house have DVD drives so i currently just use the Home server for that. would rather not have to purchase any additional hardware as i currently have it already.

the end goal would be to RDP to a Windows VM, copy the content to DVD drive and not have the laptop on for 1+additional Hours for it to complete as the Home Server is currently on 24/7

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

kdragon75

Wizard
It sounds like you might be using bhyve. You might be able to map it as a block device. Setup a testing VM (with vt-d passthrough) and test!

The Torrie

Cadet
HI Kdragon75,

that's for the tips, do you or has anyone else on here know if that would actually work? as i'm only able to fire up FreeNAS in a VM to test and obviously vt-d isn't available in a VM version of FreeNAS. as migrating almost 7TB of data will take a considerable amount of time i don't want to have it all completed then realize that it doesn't work

PC specs are
DELL T3610
1x 256GB SSD
4x 4TB HDD
CPU: Intel Xeon Processor E5-1620 v 2
RAM: 32GB
GPU: 2 x Nvidia NVS 510

it was an Old PC that my company was disposing of that i've re-purposed.

thanks again for the help.

kdragon75

Wizard
obviously vt-d isn't available in a VM version of FreeNAS.
This depends on the hypervisor used. I know VMware's will and I think Virtual box has the option too.

Status
Not open for further replies.