Dell R720 DVD Drive + Handbrake

mizzourob

Cadet
Started building my first TrueNAS system. I picked up a used Dell R720 Poweredge server, and have almost everything working. The version I purchased is an 8 3.5" LFF drive bays plus a DVD drive. In working the command line I can see the DVD drive is present within Scale at /dev/sr0 but in order to mount it I have to use the command line. However when I do this I cannot seem to get the Handbrake application to see the DVD drive. I would like to use Handbrake to rip my DVD collection to a share for use with Plex.

If I edit /etc/fstab would this enable the Handbrake app to use the device? Or is there a better/easier way to make this work?

I am currently booting from a USB drive with Clover to load TrueNAS Scale that is installed on an NVME drive attached to a PCI card. Not sure if there opens (or closes) any doors for accessing the DVD drive.

duncandoo

Cadet
Started building my first TrueNAS system. I picked up a used Dell R720 Poweredge server, and have almost everything working. The version I purchased is an 8 3.5" LFF drive bays plus a DVD drive. In working the command line I can see the DVD drive is present within Scale at /dev/sr0 but in order to mount it I have to use the command line. However when I do this I cannot seem to get the Handbrake application to see the DVD drive. I would like to use Handbrake to rip my DVD collection to a share for use with Plex.

If I edit /etc/fstab would this enable the Handbrake app to use the device? Or is there a better/easier way to make this work?

I am currently booting from a USB drive with Clover to load TrueNAS Scale that is installed on an NVME drive attached to a PCI card. Not sure if there opens (or closes) any doors for accessing the DVD drive.
I have exactly the same problem. Can see /dev/sr0, can't figure out how to pass it through to the handbrake app. Did you get any answers?

mizzourob

Cadet
I have exactly the same problem. Can see /dev/sr0, can't figure out how to pass it through to the handbrake app. Did you get any answers?
I can mount it via command line but Handbrake or makeMKV does not 'see' the drive. This is driving me nuts, support for this should be baked into the operating system.

F_L_A_S_H

Cadet
I've not tried using the Handbrake app, but in the installation notes, it does mention some options that need to be set for Optical Drives... If you've already seen this, my apologies... I didn't see it mentioned in the tread, so I thought it couldn't hurt to mention.

Installation Notes
Installation_Notes.png