ISO Player for DVD Rips

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
Apologies first of all if this is in the wrong section and also for the long winded post but Im running out of ideas at the moment and really need some help.

So, Ive got a fair few DVDs and BluRays at home that I want to rip. Ive been looking at Handbrake, MakeMKV etc but Im a fussy sod and I want to keep everything from the DVD including menus, 5.1 sound if its there, subtitles etc. Basically, make the rip so its exactly like a DVD. This is just to make it as idiot proof as possible for the family to use. So far Ive found that only ripping the discs to .iso file format will give me that. Thats fine, I can sort that out.

Now, I was originally planning on running a Plex server on my FreeNAS device but I understand Plex will not play .iso files. Correct me if Im wrong, but if Im not, then I need another player. Can anyone advise me of a good plugin to do this, even better if it has a client version to install on smart TVs etc? Something like Plex would be perfect, if only it could play .iso files and keep all that menu etc. information.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Unfortunately, there's no plugin that will do what you want. You'll need to share your ISOs out via SMB, and play them in something like PowerDVD, which can also stream to/from other players via DLNA.

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
Unfortunately, there's no plugin that will do what you want. You'll need to share your ISOs out via SMB, and play them in something like PowerDVD, which can also stream to/from other players via DLNA.

I was kinda thinking this would be the case. I think Im looking for a nirvana that isnt there! Time to rethink my strategy.

Samuel Tai

If you're willing to give up the per-ISO menu, Plex can play the disk extras, if they're organized correctly, but this means much more effort up front during the rip to find and convert the extra files. Plex can also play to Smart TVs via DLNA.

Samuel Tai

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
If you're willing to give up the per-ISO menu, Plex can play the disk extras, if they're organized correctly, but this means much more effort up front during the rip to find and convert the extra files. Plex can also play to Smart TVs via DLNA.
I think you might have just provided me with 99% of what Im looking for! I'll take losing the per ISO menu if it means all other content is available and easy to find in Plex. Im happy enough naming things as per the link you attached as I hope to only be doing this one time anyway. Many, many thanks for your help.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What are your intended clients? Infuse player will play ISO files from simple SMB or NFS share or Plex and a dozen other siurces. I use it on my iPad and my Apple TV.

Apple only, sorry.

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
What are your intended clients? Infuse player will play ISO files from simple SMB or NFS share or Plex and a dozen other siurces. I use it on my iPad and my Apple TV.

Apple only, sorry.
No Apple devices in the household really. It will be an LG and Samsung smart TV, possibly Android mobile devices also. Mostly just the TVs though. Was ideally looking for a player I could put on those without the need for an additional box or firestick type device though, hence why Plex was standing out to me.