Drive was not properly dismounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auction

Cadet
Hello! I need your help.
I've an old FreeNAS 7 box, it ran very good for years. But the system crashed after a properly shutdown yesterday. Error messages show as follows when booting up
IMG_20130903_150108.jpg

IMG_20130903_150246.jpg

I've tried to mount the data drive to a Ubuntu server and Win-PC. But the Ubuntu cannot recognise it and the PC ask me to reformat it! I just want to get back the data inside.
Please help! Thank you very much.

gpsguy

FreeNAS 0.7 isn't supported here (it's a different project). Please go to NAS4Free, where you'll find support for it.

Whattteva

Wizard
You should really consider buying a UPS if you actually value your data.

Auction

Cadet
Thank you for your reply. Actually the server was shutdown properly, therefore I don't think a UPS can help. Now, it operate normally again.

Whattteva

Wizard
Oh, my fault. I reread your OP. It seems like I had a case of fail reading comprehension.

Regardless though, if you do not already have one, you should still get one. ZFS is supposed to be pretty good with improper shutdown due to its transactional design. However, there have been a few cases here on the forums where people have lost their pool because of a power outage, so I would not gamble my data on it.

That being said, at the end of the day, it's still your data and not mine. So, it's up to you to determine the level of risk you're willing to tolerate. I personally would have sleepless nights without a UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.