FreeNas not booting : "stock on Mounting local file systems: "

Status
Not open for further replies.

vl33l

Dabbler
Hi,

Yesterday I tried to copy some files from my computer to FreeNas, and for a reason that I don't know the file transfert went really slow. I just though "okay let's reboot". Bad idea: the system is stuck here : "Mounting local file systems:" and nothing more happens.

I have recorded with my phone the boot sequence as I don't know how to get access on logs at this stage which can be seen on the attached pictures (I'm not really confortable with unix world and FreeNas now, but trying to improve this..), and have seen the following error messages:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a [ro]...
(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): got CAM status 0x50
(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device

and later the following is appearing:
WARNING: /data was not properly dismounted

The issue I have is that I cannot find anymore the backup of the configuration I have made. If I go with a fresh new installation of FreeNas, I will loose all the configurations I have made on share accesses etc right?

I have searched on the forum, and found that one of the possibility (seen on this post) is to create a bootable freebsd usb, mounting it and checking under the /data folder.

Any other idea? Any help is welcome :)

I hope I will be able to recover my data :/

Thanks!

Screenshot_20160629-205449.png Screenshot_20160629-205748.png

D

dlavigne

Looks like the stick died and you're running an old version of FreeNAS. Burn a new stick with the same version (archived versions are at http://download.freenas.org/). If you didn't save a copy of your config, you will have to recreate all of your configurations. However, the data on the storage drives is still there as it's separate from the OS and config.

vl33l

Dabbler
Ok, so by buring a FreeBSD iso in another USB stick and recovering the config in /data is the good solution? I don't think I'm able to see the content of the drive on Windows right...

I will then re-install the same version, restore the config and upgrade to a newer version.

vl33l

Dabbler
Thanks!

I have created a VM, I'm now trying to mound the USB stick, but for some reasons it is not mounting. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• freebsd mount.PNG
    freebsd mount.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 320

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I have created a VM
What OS are you running in the VM? You need something that can import a ZFS pool. To import a boot pool into FreeNAS, you'll need to use the command-line to import it with a different name, so it doesn't clash with the existing boot device.

vl33l

Dabbler
FreeBSD, when I run the freebsd-version I got 10.3-release.

I have attached some captures. I have tried to mount using different commands but without success... is there a special command for mounting it ? mount /dev/da0s1 /mnt does not seem to work or I don't use it correctly.

Attachments

• usb info 2.PNG
    usb info 2.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 281
  • usb info.PNG
    usb info.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 267

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
OK, let's back up here. What version of FreeNAS were you running?
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a [ro]...
This suggests an old release (UFS boot filesystem), which means no backup of the database in /data, as far as I know. Sorry for the confusion.

vl33l

Dabbler
OK, let's back up here. What version of FreeNAS were you running?

This suggests an old release (UFS boot filesystem), which means no backup of the database in /data, as far as I know. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm don't have the info with me right now, but I think I'm running FreeNAS9.2 (from the screenshot I have on the boot menu it says /build/921/freenas/... so I guess it is 9.2.1 ? FreeBSD is running on 9.2-RELEASE-p12.

I have recorded a video of the boot sequence and it tries to mount /data from the usb (which failes, see first post and I can post more details if needed).

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Versions before 9.3 used UFS for the boot device filesystem. Forget everything I said about zpool import :rolleyes:

I think the process for mounting a UFS filesystem is basically:
  1. Create a directory as the destination for the mount, using mkdir <directoryname>.
  2. mount -t ufs <filesystem> <directoryname>
However, I don't know whether this will enable you to recover your configuration.

vl33l

Dabbler
Ok, I was able to recover the configuration file but still facing some errors.

What I did is to install on a fresh new USB key the same version of FreeNAS (I have taken the 9.2.1 (there are 9.2.1.x versions, I have just taken the 9.2.1), when booted I went for the Shell, mounting the old USB, and coping the config file in the new USB. Shutdown, remove the old USB key, and power up.

I had few errors while mounting the old USB key (see the file "trying to mount.jpg") but it looks that the configuration was succesfully copied (or at least partially) as when I rebooted, on the GUI I saw all my shares, permission groups etc.

Second error is an ATA error, which I don't know if it comes from a HDD or not (see file "ata error.jpg"). Any idea where this error comes from? The server boot but keep having this error (see file "ata error after boot.jpg") until a certain point and then the error message does not show anymore.

Third error is on the GUI: when I try to add the shares in the Services/CIFS, looks like some files are missing, see "cifs services error.jpg". I do have the same error for the Shares feature (see "share error.jpg").

Fourth error is when I shutdown the server, it is blocked after having disconnected all USB controllers (see "shutdown stuck.jpg"). I don't think this is normal as I do have to press the shutdown button to force it.

I do have another error also on DNS and a manage.py script, see "other errors.jpg".

Can this may happen if the FreeNAS version is not exactly the same (I doubt for the ATA and DNS errors, but maybe for the other GUI related...)? Would an update to the last version of FreeNAS resolve this?

Thanks for your help, cheers! :)

Attachments

• trying to mount.jpg
    trying to mount.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 365
  • ata error.jpg
    ata error.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 317
  • ata error after boot.jpg
    ata error after boot.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 324
  • cifs services error.jpg
    cifs services error.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 250
  • share error.jpg
    share error.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 239
  • shutdown stuck.jpg
    shutdown stuck.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 289
  • other errors.jpg
    other errors.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 296

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Either ada1 is failing, or you have a cable or HBA problem.

What is the structure of your pool?

Exactly what hardware are you running on?

If you can access the data, the best bet may be to backup the data and start over.

vl33l

Dabbler
Either ada1 is failing, or you have a cable or HBA problem.

What is the structure of your pool?

Can I check that with the command zpool ?

Exactly what hardware are you running on?

If you can access the data, the best bet may be to backup the data and start over.

You're right. However I still have the errors on the Shares and Services tabs which prevents me from adding the volumes (however just before this happens, when setting the share nam and path, I can browse I see the data from that menu which makes me think data is ok).

What is HBA?

gpsguy

HBA = Host Bus Adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.