Issue with mounting on boot, not sure what is going on

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
we too (with F*** covid plus working day)
but that IS
Work and forget
I just to want to help/suggest/PUSH solution

johny3

Dabbler
Your configuration files are automatically backed up to the system dataset once a day. As long as you didn't have your system dataset on your boot drive (it is moved to the pool by default), there's a good chance you can get a recent version back.

Look at post 35 in this thread https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/update-went-wrong.74084/page-2#post-514298. It gives the location where the files are placed by default and describes how to get to them.

You'll see a section where Chris describes a "kind of tricky" procedure to get to the files - I recommend that you use Midnight Commander - a DOS-like file manager built into FreeNAS/TrueNAS - type "mc" on the command line to get to it:

View attachment 45018

I pulled it up there in the shell to show you, but it's better to SSH in to your box and use it that way if you have SSH set up:

View attachment 45019

You can see my config file from today at the bottom of the list.

I'm pretty sure that it's this process that Dan T. was referring to.
hi!
Finally got to get in and try this today. When I go into there as you and Dan had suggested, I only see the newest config file within the /configs - xxxxxx. There is nothing prior to the crash.
Is there any other way to get at the config?
I basically just want access to the files in the samba share

Redcoat

MVP
Is there any other way to get at the config?
Not as far as I know. I guess you'll have to recreate the Samba sharing by hand. I am surprised you could not find the file...

johny3

Dabbler
Not as far as I know. I guess you'll have to recreate the Samba sharing by hand. I am surprised you could not find the file...
same!
I have to install our new cable boxes. I will go thru it all again and see - maybe I did something wrong. I will post with pictures.
Is there any way to get into the usb stick IF the config was saved there? I thought I did not choose the stick for the config. i am planning on booting from a more reliable SSD in the future.
Will post back.