Issue with mounting on boot, not sure what is going on

johny3

Dabbler
hi all,
I have not touched my freenas running 11.3 on my old server for a while. I noticed today when I went to move files over on the windows share that it was not on the network. I am having issues with my laptop so thought it was the laptop but the desktop could not see it. I could not login. I went downstairs and plugged in the monitor and there was a boot error.
Here is a previous post describing my system.
So for this error it goes thru the boot up process (I have a video of it if needed.)
the repeated error is:
(da1: umass-sim0:0:0:0): write(10). cdb: 2a 00 00 80 52 6a 00 00 01 00
(da1: umass-sim0:0:0:0): cam status: ccb request completed with an error
repeats that
(da1: umass-sim0:0:0:0): error 5: retries exhausted
solaris: warning: can't open objset 21, error 6
solaris: warning: can't open objset 78, error 6
(da1: umass-sim0:0:0:0): got CAM status ox44
(da1: umass-sim0:0:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
dal: at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus4 target 0 lun 0
dal: <general usb flash disk 1100> s/n 04h6bn570IAGTGUO detached

so it appears that the flash disk it is booting from has failed.
I *think* I am still booting from the usb flash stick and not the ssds attached. How do I know for sure (like I said I have not touched it in a long while given covid frontlines and all).
Any advice pointing me to directions would be appreciated. I have not touched this in a while so am rusty with the commands, etc.
thank you!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
umass indicates a USB mass storage drive, so you're booting off the USB thumb drive. Do you have a configuration backup? Recovery from this is usually pretty simple if you do:
  1. Reinstall 11.3-U5 onto a new thumb drive on another system.
  2. Shut down FreeNAS system.
  3. Replace dead thumb drive with new thumb drive.
  4. Start FreeNAS system with new thumb drive.
  5. Once system is up, navigate to System->General, and select Upload Config.
  6. Once config is restored, reboot FreeNAS system.

johny3

Dabbler
umass indicates a USB mass storage drive, so you're booting off the USB thumb drive. Do you have a configuration backup? Recovery from this is usually pretty simple if you do:
thank you, I figured that was the case, I will try this later and report back!

johny3

Dabbler
so.....
where do I get the old config from? I do not see it as a file to upload anywhere. Can I restore thru the boot menu for freenas instead of a save config - because I do not think I saved the config anywhere. Sorry for my simple question :)

Samuel Tai

Unless you saved your config in System->General->Save Config, which downloads a TAR file, you're stuck with re-entering your whole config by hand.

johny3

Dabbler
Unless you saved your config in System->General->Save Config, which downloads a TAR file, you're stuck with re-entering your whole config by hand.
how can I get the smb share files back? I had the config backed up but my laptop had issues and I lost some files. Is it possible to get the smb windows share and files back? i can set everything up just hoping to get access to the files!

Samuel Tai

The files are still there, since they're in the data pool, which is separate from the boot pool. Only the SMB sharing will need to be recreated by hand.

Samuel Tai

I had the config backed up but my laptop had issues and I lost some files.

This is why I keep config backups in 2 encrypted locations: my OneDrive Personal Vault and a BitLocker-encrypted thumb drive. I also create new backups every week, and keep each backup for at least 2 weeks.

On this board, you can search for scripts that will automate configuration backups.

johny3

Dabbler
This is why I keep config backups in 2 encrypted locations: my OneDrive Personal Vault and a BitLocker-encrypted thumb drive. I also create new backups every week, and keep each backup for at least 2 weeks.

On this board, you can search for scripts that will automate configuration backups.
Yes for sure.
Is there a special way to setup the smb share like does it have to be exactly the same? The accounts, pool, share

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Yes, you’ll need to duplicate the former SMB sharing settings: all the accounts need to be recreated; the datasets don’t need to be recreated, but they do need to be reconfigured as the sources for sharing; and all the other SMB share parameters.

johny3

Dabbler
Yes, you’ll need to duplicate the former SMB sharing settings: all the accounts need to be recreated; the datasets don’t need to be recreated, but they do need to be reconfigured as the sources for sharing; and all the other SMB share parameters.

do the shares have to be exactly the same though in order to capture the files? Or can I just create any smb share? Just curious because I do not remember the exact settings. thank you, I want to make sure before I do it.

Samuel Tai

You can create a new share pointing to the source dataset.

johny3

Dabbler
You can create a new share pointing to the source dataset.
Is there a specific way to do that other than just creating a share pointing at the drive? I apologize for my ignorance. if there is a tutorial for this I am happy to follow it!
this is what I followed when I created it.
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/sharing.html#windows-smb-shares which looks like this now

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
I am just reinstall a pFSense 2 hours a go. wonderful !!!
I reinstall and that guys ask me (pFSense guy) IF I want to recover config file
HMMMM !! sound goood
reinstall and drink a coffe and go home
interesting day !!
good for you guy from pfsense
WHY NOT IN HERE ??
in what location is config file ??
IS secret ??
is not !!
in a thread forum (I do not remember what thread) is reveill "secret"
that user need some help to recover that F*** config file
help please

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Your configuration files are automatically backed up to the system dataset once a day. As long as you didn't have your system dataset on your boot drive (it is moved to the pool by default), there's a good chance you can get a recent version back.

Look at post 35 in this thread https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/update-went-wrong.74084/page-2#post-514298. It gives the location where the files are placed by default and describes how to get to them.

You'll see a section where Chris describes a "kind of tricky" procedure to get to the files - I recommend that you use Midnight Commander - a DOS-like file manager built into FreeNAS/TrueNAS - type "mc" on the command line to get to it:

1612901920981.png

I pulled it up there in the shell to show you, but it's better to SSH in to your box and use it that way if you have SSH set up:

1612902445312.png

You can see my config file from today at the bottom of the list.

I'm pretty sure that it's this process that Dan T. was referring to.

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
thanks for replay to OP, BUT that presume that user have a FreeNAS/TrueNAS boot/working and accessible from SSH or serial/VGA console
IS not a option when that system do not boot/work
what I want to say IS what I say
IF user need/must to reinstall (power outage, USB stick died, Katrina flood or something, etc.) can/must recover config file from system dataset whatever they are (can not be to many location frankly)
I do not want to repeat my previous post about pFsense
I am impress about recover file config (just ask in what HDD/partition/GUID ID to search a config file, THE install script search NOT ME)
I think can be implemented including in TrueNAS (I buy a beer for pFsense guy to share that "secret code of script")
I am serious (I buy beer):smile:

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
and I forget about encrypted pool/system dataset when reside THE config file (frankly IS a important/must have/critical file)
a some dialog/ask/something/passfrase about encrypted pool/dataset on install process can save many hours of dig-in id DOCS (and that is not very complete/ clear/easy understable)

Redcoat

MVP
Well, Dan, Samuel suggested that the OP create a fresh install of TrueNAS/FreeNAS and connect the original HDD's. I believe the OP did so from his follow-up messages asking about config files.

Accordingly, I tried to give him a very specific guide to where and how he might find his configuration file(s) on his original data drives (where his system dataset would be by default after he created a pool unless he specifically relocated it) as he asked "where do I get the old config from? I do not see it as a file to upload anywhere. Can I restore thru the boot menu for freenas instead of a save config - because I do not think I saved the config anywhere. Sorry for my simple question :) "

Last edited:

Dan Tudora

Patron
Well, Dan, Samuel suggested that the OP created a fresh install of TrueNAS/FreeNAS and connect the original HDD's. I believe the OP did so from his follow-up messages asking about config files.

Accordingly, I tried to give him a very specific guide to where and how he might find his configuration file(s) on his original data drives as he asked "where do I get the old config from? I do not see it as a file to upload anywhere. Can I restore thru the boot menu for freenas instead of a save config - because I do not think I saved the config anywhere. Sorry for my simple question :) "
hello
good for you
we want to help !!
everyone !!
AND we can try to sugesst/inspire/PUSH in jira and in forum for things that we think is good an help someone/somebody without dig some day in forum for a solution
I hope not disturb (I am just observer, criticcal observer)

johny3

Dabbler
Your configuration files are automatically backed up to the system dataset once a day. As long as you didn't have your system dataset on your boot drive (it is moved to the pool by default), there's a good chance you can get a recent version back.

Look at post 35 in this thread https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/update-went-wrong.74084/page-2#post-514298. It gives the location where the files are placed by default and describes how to get to them.

You'll see a section where Chris describes a "kind of tricky" procedure to get to the files - I recommend that you use Midnight Commander - a DOS-like file manager built into FreeNAS/TrueNAS - type "mc" on the command line to get to it:

View attachment 45018

I pulled it up there in the shell to show you, but it's better to SSH in to your box and use it that way if you have SSH set up:

View attachment 45019

You can see my config file from today at the bottom of the list.

I'm pretty sure that it's this process that Dan T. was referring to.
thanks! I have been working long hours dealing with covid. I appreciate the detailed post and will work on this soon, likely this weekend!