Disk Fills Before I Can Configure Network Interface

JuJu142

Dabbler
I am newer to the Linux environment. I am installing in a VM on an Ubuntu Server 20.04, using TrueNAS-12.0-U8.iso via cockpit. The initial installations goes through super smooth. I select my 64GB drive, the 16GB swap file, and the installation goes through w/o a hitch. By the time the system boots for the FIRST time, the disk is showing 63.9 of 64GB in cockpit. The entire system comes to a crawl. There can be 5+ minutes between me entering selections in the CLI and anything happening. I also start receiving Traceback errors in the console. (VIA Cockpit -> Virtual Machines ->myVM -> Console ) They are socket.timeouts I'm assuming from not being able to configure my Network Adapters. These timeouts appear to be preventing me from configuring the Network adapter. (Im not sure how to copy/paste these errors, as I'm in a console through the WebUI and the network adapter isn't configured yet for me to be able to SSH in) When I do the selection (1) FOR Configuring Network Interfaces, it can hang for any number of minutes, just for the socket.timeouts to come through and kick me back to the initial selection menu. (1-11). So back to the original reason for the post. Should my boot drive be filling up immediately after installation? Is that the actual cause of these timeouts, causing the inability to config the adapter, because it cant write the data? Any suggestions as to what try / do next would be greatly appreciated as my Linux background is so shallow I'm stuck already. Thanks!

Other Random Crap I've Tried:
1 - Fresh install, new disks, new vm, all the way from start to finish VIA Cockpit - All 3 times exact same issue.
2 - New ISO image - Same issue

Attachments

• disk_network.PNG
    disk_network.PNG
    40.8 KB · Views: 105

JuJu142

Dabbler
I finally was able to catch some texting scrolling through during the hang ups, after I had reset the config and was starting over again.
"Saving IPv4 gateway: Failed"
So I'm assuming I am in the right ballpark and this is because of the full drive. The issue is these traceback warnings in console spam out the text so I f I don't catch it immediately during it hanging for a few minutes at a time, its gone.

JuJu142

Dabbler
find / -type f -size +100M is not finding anything
find / -type f -size +10M is scrolling off my screen (and I'm still stuck in console so can't scroll up.)

Finally was able to find a command that kept all the output on the screen: Ran "du -sh /*"
Doesn't appear like 64Gb is actually used.
My stump-ification continues.

Attachments

• disk2.png
    disk2.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 100

JuJu142

Dabbler
After smashing my face on the keyboard for an hour I was able to set the Network Adapter *I THINK*. It is telling me the web interface should be available but I can not access it via web browser. Disk space issue has not been resolved as the previous screenshot makes it look like its not actually full? Guidance appreciated.

Attachments

• ifconfig.PNG
    ifconfig.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 95

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm guessing that whatever network adapter that your virtual environment is handing TrueNAS is not working out.

This is not a recommended configuration for virtualizing TrueNAS. Please review

and use a recommended hypervisor for best chances of success.

JuJu142

Dabbler
My router is not showing anything @ 192.168.50.3 either. (Network Map).

Attachments

• webUI.PNG
    webUI.PNG
    48.5 KB · Views: 93
  • host.PNG
    host.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 87

JuJu142

Dabbler
I'm guessing that whatever network adapter that your virtual environment is handing TrueNAS is not working out.

This is not a recommended configuration for virtualizing TrueNAS. Please review

and use a recommended hypervisor for best chances of success.
Should the console text output be freaking out so much w/ these traceback errors and delay / unresponsiveness though? The adapter is causing this? After a SHUTDOWN and not a restart the used space droped to 1.7G, I removed the configuration and it rebooted itself, now it's back to showing 63.9 / 64G . Kinda hard to believe the network adapter is causing this.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't know what's causing it. I know that this configuration isn't one that's known to work. That suggests you should follow the link I provided and use a better hypervisor.

JuJu142

Dabbler
I don't know what's causing it. I know that this configuration isn't one that's known to work. That suggests you should follow the link I provided and use a better hypervisor.
Eh, I don't really "NEED" TrueNAS. I'll probably just stop the headache here.

JuJu142

Dabbler
Any idea if this is a display error or is my netmask boned?

/etc/rc.conf files gets overridden on reboot.
doing things like:
ifconfig em0 192.168.50.3 netmask 255.255.255.0
has no effect.
It's saying the web interface is up but I can't get it it.

Attachments

• netmask.PNG
    netmask.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 84

JuJu142

Dabbler
Welp, I'm to the WebGUI! When configuring ipv4 ip i had to enter 192.168.50.3/24 rather than just 192.168.50.3 hitting enter, then entering the subnet 255.255.255.0. This for some reason made the difference. Thought /24 = 255.255.255.0 but for some reason the way you entered the info through the prompts made a difference.

JuJu142

Dabbler
Welp it shows I can get to the web GUI but I can't actually load it. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this? Router shows the box connected to it with no issues. CLI says the web gui should be up. Teste from 3-4 devices.

Attachments

• ifconfig.PNG
    ifconfig.PNG
    42.3 KB · Views: 97

JuJu142

Dabbler
Ill blame all the wild inconstancies / issues on it being in a cockpit VM and just give up. womp womp <3

JuJu142

Dabbler
I'm stubborn, so far so good switching the Network adapter over to a bridge. Previously it was set to a direct attachment to the NIC, could get an IP and show an active status in ifconfig but could never hit the web GUI. Switching it to a bridge seems to have fixed that communication issue.

Attachments

• bridge0.PNG
    bridge0.PNG
    33.9 KB · Views: 89

artlessknave

Wizard
the problem is that, just because you CAN get it to *work*, doesn't mean you should, or that it will work well.
TrueNAS is aimed at reliable, fail resilient storage, but it cannot do this with iffy setups.
if you just like playing around, sure, go ahead, but in general you are less likely to find people with knowledge in these forums about unsupported configurations due to the simple fact that they are *unsupported*
afaik ALL of us here who try to help are doing this as volunteers, and are not interested in yet another experimental setup. we see many of those because people come to the forums trying to get their archive of family pictures back that they stored on a striped array of USB disks on a laptop....virtualized. *SHUDDERS*