SOLVED unable to configure network interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

A couple months ago I tried to install FreeNAS on an old gaming computer I built, just to see if I could. I know my hardware isn't the best choice for FreeNAS, but I just wanted to see what would happen. I installed FreeNAS with no problems, rebooted, and then tried to configure the network to connect to my home router: a Linksys E1500.

At first I couldn't get anything to work. So I went to the forums. I've read through quite alot of information and found that buying an Intel NIC seems to help out alot. So that's what I did next. I just installed the NIC, then re-installed FreeNAS just to make sure I was starting out with a clean install.

Now I'm running into a new problem. I can configure the network now to have an ip address of 192.168.1.125 using DHCP or manually configuring IPv4 no problem. But I still can't access the FreeNAS GUI from another computer.

Can someone please help me? I am active duty military and I'm about to deploy for 6 months, so I'm trying to setup a home media server for my wife and kids while I'm gone. My plan was to host all of our movies and tv shows on freenas, then use xmbc or plex on our wireless devices to stream the media throughout the house.

My hardware is as follows:

Intel E6600 2.4ghz Core 2 duo
Nvidia 680i SLI motherboard
4gb corsair ram
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps network adapter
4 250 GB harddrives for testing
4 2TB WD RED HDDs if I can get this thing up and running.

I know this hardware isn't good for running ZFS. My plan was to test FreeNAS out using UFS for the next 6 months, then build a proper server when I get back.

Thanks in advance y'all!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, in 48 hours the current version will not have UFS support in FreeNAS. :/

When you say "about", are we talking a few weeks? a few days?

I'm leaving the 3rd week of Jan. But between now and then I have alot of stuff to get done around the house, at work, and hopefully my home server. I have a bit of time everyday to tinker with my home computers, but only after my 12 hour shifts at work.

No worries about the new version. As I said I'm just testing right now. I've got ver 9.2.1.8 at the moment.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
From FreeNAS can you ping the gateway/router? Then can you ping another computer on the network.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, I'd stick with an OS you are familiar with. One that you are accustomed to fixing and using since you have such short time. When you get back and can afford to build a proper server, then look at going with FreeNAS.

Trying to use less than appropriate hardware (which is what you are using) creates a whole new set of problems that can manifest themselves immediately or days/weeks later. You don't want to build this thing, leave town, then have it stop working. If you know Windows, stick with Windows. Worry about FreeNAS after your return.

Good luck and safe travels wherever you are going! (from one veteran to another)

@cyberjock
Thanks man! I'm going for another 6 month tour of Kuwait. It's a cake walk for an airman on an army base.

As far as hardware is concerned, I know I'm using less than appropriate hardware. I wish I could afford better, but right now I'm just testing whether or not freenas, nas4free, or OMV will work with my current home network.

If successful I plan on building a supermicro based mb and intel xeon based cpu server sometime later in the year. That way I can use ZFS with ECC ram. For now I just wanted to get my feet wet with FreeNAS.

@SweetAndLow

I think you have the right idea sir. I tried to ping the router, but only got dropped packets. I then tried to ping another computer on the network, but got the same result. So I think the problem is definitely in the router.

I went to the router's configuration page and found that the FreeNAS server isn't listed in the devices currently connected through the LAN. I think that the linksys router is somehow not letting the server obtain an ip through DHCP. I also tried manually configuring the FreeNAS ip as 192.168.1.125. Then tried pinging everything again. Same result as before.

Do you think there is a way to tell the router to accept all incoming connections from the freeNAS server? I know this setup could work, just seems to be a communication problem somewhere.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Check your cable first, even if it's brand new. Swap with a cable you know to be working.
Just a thought...

@BigDave
Thanks for the thought. I disconnected the patch cable from my HTPC and plugged it into FN. Same result, still unable to ping any other device.

gpsguy

Try moving the network cable to the onboard NIC's and see if you can ping anything.

Or, consider disabling the onboard NIC's in the BIOS, so you know you're using the Intel NIC.

The Intel should be on interface em0, if you only have one Intel NIC.

@gpsguy You're right. My intel card was on em0. However that still didn't fix the problem. I finally figured out that it was the DHCP server on my router that wasn't working properly when talking to the nvidia 680i SLI mb.

@cyberjock You were totally right about not using the correct hardware. Today on a whim i decided to install fn on my gaming computer from 09, and it worked! Right off the bat. I was amazed after the past 2 weeks of trying to figure out the network issues, as it turns out the old nvidia mb from 06 just couldn't configure properly with fn and my linksys router.

Currently I'm up and running with fn testing. I've already copied about 10gb of data from my htpc to the fn. And I've played some of the video files through the router over the network with no issues. I'm going to be shutting it down soon to install my 4 x 2tb WD red HDDs, and then setting up the zpool and zvolume after that. I can't wait. I'm so happy.

Thank you guys for trying to help me with my networking issues. I'm going on leave Monday to spend Christmas with my family. I hope you have a Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year! Keep up the good work! I can't tell you how happy I am about setting up my first home server using freeNAS! You guys are awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.