SOLVED Disabling GUI Log in as root

keithfrank

Cadet
I am running TrueNAS Scale 22.12.2
I must have made an error during my install since my root user can in fact still login to the GUI.
I know that BlueFin recommends that roor be disabled from logging in to the GUI.
I have created an admin(not called admi) user with all the correct privileges to login to the GUI.
Is there a way and is it recommended to somehow disable the root user from logging in through the GUI at this point and how would I go about doing that correctly?
Thank you for any help in advance.

artlessknave

Wizard
I do not believe this has been implemented. they are recommending it because they plan to move in that direction.
I don't think you can, or there is any recommendation to, disable root at this time.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The root user can login via webUI.

We just recommend the normal process to be login as an admin..... is there somewhere this is written differently?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I haven't tried it, but I would have thought it is in "edit users"

artlessknave

Wizard
if we are just talking about disabling the password for the root account, that can be done in the user account settings (any user, really)
I don't have it in front of me right now, but I think there is both a checkbox to disable the password, and the option to select /nologin for the shell.
both would prevent root from doing..anything really.

you can also go into the SSH settings and block root from SSH login, or at least from password only root login. this would allow using ssh keys.
this is what I have set currently.

there is no official process for it, because it's not being done yet. being able to use a non root account to login to the webUI is, itself, quite new, and that message is more about letting us all know that multi user webUI is finally, finally, FINALLY on the way.

I think it's causing more angst than is really needed though. "ermagerd you gonna get HACKED if you don't do this ONE trick!"

artlessknave

Wizard
1682643529984.png

looks like you can just hit lock user. it says it cant be used with disable password. either would do it. one would prevent the account from doing anything, while the other would just prevent using the password to log in.

keithfrank

Cadet
SOLVED!
Thanks @artlessknave! went to credentials -> root -> edit and used the toggle switch under "Edit User" to "Disable Password".
Worked like a charm. root can no longer log into the GUI but my admin user still can.