Can't login as root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon,

So first of all I'll admit that I've fumbled this up on my own somehow. Here is what happened. I'm currently running FreeNAS v9.3 and locked out my root account by trying to setup SSH Certs. I think I may unchecked the button to allow Root to login with/without SSH Certs ( I can't remember exactly). The Root account will not login via GUI or SSH and I had disabled the console menu so that doesn't help either. However, I did have another backup account (which I was fairly certain had admin rights, but doesn't seem to) setup that I can log into via SSH but not through the GUI for some reason. I need to get back into the system via GUI as I can't make any changes with my backup user account.

I did make a backup of the config prior to these changes, so I do have that going for me. That did allow me to get logged back into the GUI as Root, but the Servers connected via iSCSI would not reconnect to the the NAS.

Any advice?

Thanks in Advance

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I did make a backup of the config prior to these changes, so I do have that going for me. That did allow me to get logged back into the GUI as Root, but the Servers connected via iSCSI would not reconnect to the the NAS.
Do you have a really good reason for disabling the hardware console? Even where I work, which is mega secure with vault doors, we don't disable the hardware console. How are you going to get back in if your network interface breaks?

Now you can't reconnect iSCSI because your configuration is hosed up. How did you go from "can't log into the system" to "that is fixed but I still can't connect to iSCSI"? What were the steps you took to break it, so someone might figure out how to un-break what you broke.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Do a fresh install of 9.3 and upload your config.

Agreed on the hardware console part, it wasn't a smart move on my part.

After I restored the backup config, I was able to log back in. At that point is when the iSCSI connections wouldn't restore.

To clarify, after restoring the backup config and now being able to login as Root into the GUI, all of the iSCSI setup and config is there and looks correct. It's the VM servers that aren't able to connect to the FreeNAS iSCSI drives any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.