Directly Connecting to TrueNAS, but accessing it over Wi-Fi/Lan

woolfy

Cadet
Hello, I was willing to buy a 10GBE switch but I am able to directly plug into TrueNAS with just an ethernet cable and connect to it that way. But if I do that will I be able to access TrueNAS over Lan and/or Wi-Fi? If I cannot, is there a way to access TrueNAS over Lan (Connected to router over 1GBE on another computer) but just using the 1GBE my router works with.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think you should get up to speed on some basic networking concepts before venturing into a NAS (TrueNAS or otherwise), to make your experience a less frustrating one.

If I understand you correctly, you have a server, several clients and a "router" (a bit of a misnomer typically, but that's not your fault) that also does Wi-Fi?
Well, there are two options. If your "router" has an integrated switch (very common) and there are free ports, use those. If not, add a cheap 1 GbE switch and use that to sort of add more ports.

woolfy

Cadet
I think you should get up to speed on some basic networking concepts before venturing into a NAS (TrueNAS or otherwise), to make your experience a less frustrating one.

If I understand you correctly, you have a server, several clients and a "router" (a bit of a misnomer typically, but that's not your fault) that also does Wi-Fi?
Well, there are two options. If your "router" has an integrated switch (very common) and there are free ports, use those. If not, add a cheap 1 GbE switch and use that to sort of add more ports.
Oh well I forgot to say sorry, I am using a wifi extender to use internet on my PC, and TrueNAS, so my router is on the other side of the house.

woolfy

Cadet
Oh well I forgot to say sorry, I am using a wifi extender to use internet on my PC, and TrueNAS, so my router is on the other side of the house.
And I am currently using a 1GBE switch between TrueNAS, and my PC

sretalla