How to Setup Local Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjarobert

Dabbler
I'm a total noob with networking. I'm setting up a FreeNAS box to backup photos from one computer. I don't need the server on the internet. Would prefer if it weren't actually. I thought I could just hook the server up to my computer through an unmanaged switch, but it doesn't seem to be working. I can't get an IP address during the FreeNAS console config (shouldn't the switch assign one?).

Is this even possible or does a router have to be in the mix? All of the configs I see have:
Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Server + Computers

I'd rather have something like:
Server <-> [Something] <-> Computer <-> Modem (wi-fi)

If possible, what is the [Something] that I need?

Thanks for helping a noob out :)

What kind of router are you running?
Make...model...etc...
This will help us to answer your question better.

gpsguy

The "Server <-> [Something] <-> Computer" is possible. All you'd need is a network cable. If you have wired gigabit NIC's on both sides, all you should need is a straight through (normal) network cable. If you don't have gigabit on both ends, you'd need to use a crossover cable. You'd need to configure the FreeNAS server with a static IP address on the same network that your computer is on. The switch won't assign an IP address. Your (home) router typically has a DHCP server configured and running on it. If FreeNAS is set to DHCP, it'll be looking for the router's DHCP server for an address.

That being said, most users want the server to be able access the Internet. Date/time is important on a server, out of the box, FreeNAS will look for a NTP (network time protocol) server on the internet for time synchronization. And, FreeNAS 9.3 includes an update mechanism (similar to Microsoft update) for patching the OS.

ninjarobert

Dabbler

ninjarobert

Dabbler
Got it working. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No need for crossover, GbE must support regular and crossover cables for all connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.