Direct Connection Between Two FreeNAS Boxes For Dedicated Syncing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fukie

Dabbler
Hi,

I have been doing some research as I am interested on connecting two FreeNAS boxes directly, without a switch for dedicated syncing. The objective of this idea is:
  1. Reduce network load
  2. Improve performance of syncing
  3. Use multiple 1 GbE links with LACP (not sure yet if this is possible without a LACP switch) OR
  4. Migrate to 10 GbE links first before moving to a 10 GbE switch
With a lack of diagram, I will try to 'draw' the network setup below:
FreeNAS 01 <----------> FreeNAS 02
| |
Switch 01 Switch 01
- Switch 01 to users

The idea can be expanded to directly connect FreeNAS 01 to servers / workstations with high bandwidth, providing a dedicated high speed pipe for faster transfers.

Syncing would be done either via rsync or ZFS replication. I am still researching which is more suitable but most likely I will go for rsync via a script, as I have planned for the backup box to automatically shut down after the sync is completed. And if possible to wake up automatically (using WOL) to perform the syncing.

Based on what I researched so far, the above setup is possible:
  1. With minimal/no 'hacking' required
  2. Network configuration is all required for the direct link to work
  3. Network configurations of the direct link and switch link should reside on different subjects to avoid conflicts
  4. Network configuration of direct link would not have a gateway.
I hope someone could help confirm if my research so far is correct, provide any examples of the setup / configuration and any pointers to take note.

Thanks!`

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi,

I have been doing some research as I am interested on connecting two FreeNAS boxes directly, without a switch for dedicated syncing. The objective of this idea is:
  1. Reduce network load
  2. Improve performance of syncing
  3. Use multiple 1 GbE links with LACP (not sure yet if this is possible without a LACP switch) OR
  4. Migrate to 10 GbE links first before moving to a 10 GbE switch
With a lack of diagram, I will try to 'draw' the network setup below:
FreeNAS 01 <----------> FreeNAS 02
| |
Switch 01 Switch 01
- Switch 01 to users

The idea can be expanded to directly connect FreeNAS 01 to servers / workstations with high bandwidth, providing a dedicated high speed pipe for faster transfers.

Syncing would be done either via rsync or ZFS replication. I am still researching which is more suitable but most likely I will go for rsync via a script, as I have planned for the backup box to automatically shut down after the sync is completed. And if possible to wake up automatically (using WOL) to perform the syncing.

Based on what I researched so far, the above setup is possible:
  1. With minimal/no 'hacking' required
  2. Network configuration is all required for the direct link to work
  3. Network configurations of the direct link and switch link should reside on different subjects to avoid conflicts
  4. Network configuration of direct link would not have a gateway.
I hope someone could help confirm if my research so far is correct, provide any examples of the setup / configuration and any pointers to take note.

Thanks!`
Sure, you can configure FreeNAS with multiple network adapters.

You could connect one adapter (or set of adapters in a LACP or LAGG configuration) to a switch for sharing out to users and connect a different adapter (perhaps 10 gigabit) directly to another FreeNAS server. This would let you use rsync or replication across the direct FreeNAS-to-FreeNAS link to run your backup, as you suggested. And also, as you pointed out, this will let you use a 10 gigabit connection between the two FreeNAS servers without having to get a 10 gigabit switch.

You'd want to put the two sets of adapters on separate networks: one for the share connection and another for the direct connection.

Pretty sure you can't set up LACP or LAGG without a switch.

Another possibility would be to plug everything into a switch and use VLANs to separate the traffic. But of course, this would require a 10 gigabit-capable switch if you want the higher bandwidth.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.