2 network card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gianluca

Dabbler
Hi,
I have installed FreeNas on a server with 2 network card. I have setup each network card with a DIFFERENT IP Address (e.g 192.168.42.10 and 192.168.0.1) for optimize the network traffic. After I attach a network card directly to the switch while I connect the other directly to another server ( this other server has two network card too one connected to the switch and the other directly to FreeNas).
Now, I want to use the direct link from FreeNas to the server for transferring a lot of GigaByte evey day but from the server I can reach FreeNas only with the connection through the Switch (such as make \\192.168.42.10\ and I can see the sharing folders while if I do \\192.168.0.1\ I can't see the network sharing ). Where am I wrong on FreeNas configuration?

Thanks

stallione

Dabbler
If the subnet mask on your 192.168.0.X network is the same on both the FreeNAS box and the server, you should be able to communicate over that link. Are you able to ping the IP address from of the server from FreeNAS? ( I am willing to bet that you are not using a crossover cable between the two servers which is causing the issue)
Cheers!
Stallione.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have you read the user manual on network cards, specifically more than one, or done a search of these forums where this type of question tends to be asked frequently?

Gianluca

Dabbler
Hi to both,
Yes I searched over the forum and I read the manual and I already excluded a cable issue. The two network card has this two address:

192.168.42.12 >>> LAN
192.168.1.10 >>> Directly

I can ping both and I can reach the web management from both address so the link and the cable are right. Only if I make \\192.168.1.10 I don't see the network shared drive (instead of \\192.168.42.12 that is working correctly) It's seems that only the Windows (CIFS) service are "enabled" for the LAN interface and not for both, so what do you think? Could it be this situation?

Thanks

Gianluca

stallione

Dabbler
Hi Gianluca,
I don't think that could be the case. I have FreeNAS running on three NICS, and I am able to access with CIFS share from all three networks. btw I am on 9.2 - below you'll find my setup. I can access all my shares on all my networks. Is CIFS access enabled on the server NIC?

Cheers!
Stallione

stallione

Dabbler
Here is the image ...
view
Capture.JPG

view

Gianluca

Dabbler
Stallione!!!!
You are great and I'm quite stupid!!! The problem was on server network card configuration where I was not enabled the windows sharing!!!! I feel stupid...

Status
Not open for further replies.