confusion on 2 network card setting and options....

rayearth2000

Dabbler
Need Help,

I am Having a big Confusion about 2 network card and options... After reading more get more confusion ...

Why I thinking using 2 Network card together, better I want to have a better file transfer speed, right now I only have 50-5 MB/s transfer speed from my main PC to FreeNAS. both systems have 1-gigabit onboard ethernet card and just buy a PCI-e ethernet card.

1) My question is which way is better, setting up LACP or use the new ethernet card for peer to peer?
2) If I want to use LACP, did I need to buy an LACP switch to replace my gigabit switch?

FreeNas running
----------------------------------------
plex media server
iSCSI

-------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Adding multiple network card is not going to increase bandwidth to your client. You would need a 10gig card in your server and client to increase bandwidth. You can also try some other solutions such as smb multi path or iscsi multi path. Both those solutions require multiple nics in the sever and client.

It also looks like your current network isn't the slow part. Something else is showing you down. Use iperf to test network performance and dd to test pool performance as a start.

rayearth2000

Dabbler
The iperf show I have 400mb/s but during file transfer, I got 90 MB/s for first 10 sec then keep drop down... with give a try 10gig card in summer, with moving to other location later.

another thought will it be my network switch(tp-link sg-1008D). or my hard drive and all cable a cat6.

Thank you

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
400mb/s for iperf is terrible. I would vote you fix that problem